for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Does anyone else here use Mail?
#27768 12/28/13 04:56 PM
OP Offline

Our email is conducted through Mail, the one which comes with the Mac. Something very strange is now happening which has me stumped and apparently, the ISP.

There are only two email addresses. Both have the same password which has never changed. Since about 10 days ago, when clicking on Get Mail on my Mac, everything proceeds as it should.

Clicking on Get Mail on another Mac where the user is the other email address, access is denied with the message:

Quote:
The POP server ‘mail.xxxxxxxx.com” rejected the password for user “xx@xxxxxxxx.com”

Enter your password again or cancel

(Personal details x'd out)

Since nothing has changed at this end, ever, and it's the POP server rejecting, it seemed to me that this bizarre problem was at their end, probably with their authentication server.

I entered into an email dialogue with their 'help' person, and sent him screen grabs.

Eventually he sent me this startling reply:

Quote:
Dear xx,

I have went through all the settings again for your email "xx@xxxxxxxx.com" and compare it as well to the other working mail "yy@xxxxxxxx.com" and both are matching and there is no difference at all and all the configurations from our server are fine. I have also created test account "zzzz@xxxxxxxx.com" and be able to access it from my PC without any problems and able to send/receive emails normally.

Will be great if you can give me access to your PC by downloading software call TeamViewer for Mac using the link below:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx

Once you download this software and install it in your PC, then please provide me with the ID and password and will be happy to help you further by accessing your PC and check the settings.

Will be waiting your update.

I'm not downloading unknown software to let an unknown person who does not have English as first language into my systems! Would you? shocked

I don't know what to do other than what I have done, which is to make the User on all Macs the same person (me) which works. I've filtered all mail into that account so that nothing gets lost. But that is only a workaround and not an explanation or fix.

Thanks

Re: Does anyone else here use Mail?
Bensheim #27769 12/28/13 11:01 PM

I've run into a similar problem with Apple Mail, wherein all three POP accounts on my only Mac have begun returning the same message you're seeing.

Neither I nor my ISP was able to figure out what was wrong, but running the 10.6.8 Combo Updater seems to have been the appropriate corrective measure. (Deleting and restoring passwords from/to my keychain didn't help.)

Remember that running the Combo will revert your Safari to an earlier version than the one you're now running, which Software Update will not tell you, so you'll need to update it (as well as re-install whatever SU says you need tongue ).

I've allowed techs from TRUSTED organizations to access my Mac, as was requested of you, with no issues, and it can be quite helpful. (The software I've run has allowed me to watch everything the tech was doing, in real time, to ensure that nothing untoward was going on.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #27770 12/29/13 04:25 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
I've run into a similar problem with Apple Mail, wherein all three POP accounts on my only Mac have begun returning the same message you're seeing.

Neither I nor my ISP was able to figure out what was wrong, but running the 10.6.8 Combo Updater seems to have been the appropriate corrective measure. (Deleting and restoring passwords from/to my keychain didn't help.)

Remember that running the Combo will revert your Safari to an earlier version than the one you're now running, which Software Update will not tell you, so you'll need to update it (as well as re-install whatever SU says you need tongue ).

I've allowed techs from TRUSTED organizations to access my Mac, as was requested of you, with no issues, and it can be quite helpful. (The software I've run has allowed me to watch everything the tech was doing, in real time, to ensure that nothing untoward was going on.)

I've tried that now. It was a very long download (over half an hour) and an even longer instal (nearly an hour). I immediately tried Get Mail. It didn't work.

confused

Bensheim #27771 12/29/13 04:51 PM

Sorry to hear that; it's why I said "seems to have been". (I remember the Combo both seeming to have worked on the first try and also needing to have been repeated, so I've never really been certain that it was the fix.)

All I can say now is that the issue finally disappeared and never recurred, so it may, in fact, have been some sort of ISP glitch.

Maybe just forget about it for a while, stick to your workaround, and give it a chance to go away on its own.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #27773 12/29/13 05:52 PM
OP Offline

Hi Artie again,

Since I last posted, I have been very busy on three different Macs. This one which I'm typing on is mine and does not have that Mail problem.

The other two are over there, on the other side of the office. They both have the aforedescribed Mail problem.

I've been learning about Connection Doctor and Activity Monitor. On those two Macs, they both yield this:

-ERR[AUTH] Authentication failed.

That message is coming back from the ISP. In my opinion.

On my Mac however, Connection Doctor shows "me" connecting straight through before you can even blink.

There is something very strange indeed here. I have therefore set those two Macs' Mail Preferences to use the username of (me), the one which works.

Additionally, looking around the internet, I see dozens and dozens of people complaining of the exact same issue! shocked

Sigh.

Originally Posted By: artie505
Sorry to hear that; it's why I said "seems to have been". (I remember the Combo both seeming to have worked on the first try and also needing to have been repeated, so I've never really been certain that it was the fix.)

All I can say now is that the issue finally disappeared and never recurred, so it may, in fact, have been some sort of ISP glitch.

Maybe just forget about it for a while, stick to your workaround, and give it a chance to go away on its own.

Bensheim #27774 12/29/13 06:35 PM

This is no help wink but I thought the Mail "password" problem was well-known. It crops up every once in a while, and the best thing to do is let it go, it usually fixes itself within a few hours. Or if you want to feel like you've done something, log out or restart and see what you get. and then wait a few hours for it to sort itself out…

laugh

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #27775 12/29/13 09:09 PM
OP Offline

It's been going on now for at least two weeks, with multiple restarts and retyping password combined with multiple days of ignoring it.

Bensheim #27834 01/04/14 04:42 PM
OP Offline

Update (in case this helps anyone else).

Another techie has appeared on the ISP's support desk. (Presumably having read all the emails between me and his colleague which resolved nothing) he showed me with screen-grabs how to re-set my password/s on their servers using C-Panel.

I then re-set the password/s at this end using Mail Preferences.

A minute or two later, functionality is finally resumed. Good!

I have thanked him, but could not resist asking why his colleague last week and the week before did not go down that trail?

This also proves IMO that my surmise was correct: our password/s were not getting through to their servers correctly.

Bensheim #27986 01/23/14 07:20 PM

I've had that problem too in the past, and occasionally still do for mysterious, ghost into the machine reasons.

Many years ago, when it was happening all the time, a woman at my ISP (ATT) fixed it. I had to change the incoming mail server and outgoing mail server addresses.

deniro #27991 01/23/14 08:09 PM

Yep. This is part a poor user interface in Mail, part Internet problem.

If Mail can't make contact with a mail server for almost any reason, from the server not responding to any of a number of other problems, it pops up the "enter password" dialog. This falsely gives the user the notion that the problem is a bad password even when it's not. Instead, Mail should pop up a dialog saying what the actual problem is...but no, it asks for the password again.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #28189 02/17/14 04:46 PM

Ah ha. Same problem, appears to be losing passwords, was making me nervous.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard