FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iCal alarm: - only 1 when multiple events set
#22052 05/21/12 10:36 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

I've never tried to find a solution to this. I have another app that does a better job at this than iCal, but if I could get iCal to do this, maybe I'd go iCal all the way.

If I set alerts to multiple events at the same time, only one message will pop up for one event. Do I need to change the times to be unique? To me, a better option is for iCal to let me scroll through those events, all set at the same time. It would be a nightmare to manage reoccurring events that might land on the same day as something else if they have to have unique times. I looked in iCal Help, but there wasn't anything on this.

I'm using the most advanced version that is compatible with Leopard.

Re: iCal alarm: - only 1 when multiple events set
Gregg #22060 05/24/12 04:05 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Posted on two forums, no responses. I guess few people use iCal.

Gregg #22061 05/24/12 04:51 PM

I've always used iCal but can't be of much help to you as I don't often use the alerts and have never bumped into a need such as yours.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Gregg #22062 05/25/12 02:08 PM

Like Ryck I have always used iCal with alarms and find it very useful, even more so with iCloud. However I have never had the occasion to place alarms on multiple events occurring at the same time. It would seem your need is relatively unique. You might want to consider suggesting an iCal enhancement to Apple.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Gregg #22063 05/25/12 03:03 PM

I have CRS and use ical extensively for both individual and reoccurring alarms. I've not ran into the problem you describe, on either my iphone or my mbp.

When two different events' alarms are set for the same time, I may HEAR only one alarm sound, but both will be listed in the popup. If additional alarms come up before it is dismissed, they will be added to the list as well.

The iphone behaves much the same but can only display one alarm at a time. So if it has several in queue when I pull it out I get them popping up one at a time until all have been displayed. They are displayed in the order of occurrence.

I also frequently set several alarms for the same event. If I have an onsite to go to, I will set a leave alarm to go off 5 minutes before I have to leave, and a notice alarm ten minutes prior to that. When the notice goes off I call the customer to verify they are home and remembered I am coming. If the onsite is for around the lunch hour, I set an additional alarm for an hour before departure to insure I get lunch before leaving. I've found these alarms are very reliable.

I also carry a little digital audio recorder in my phone pouch to take notes because I tend to come up with things that need to be done later while driving etc and almost always forget by the time I get to my computer to enter the alarm.

I just tested it to check a combination I wasn't sure of. I set two alarms in one calendar to go off at 11:01am, and a third event in another calendar to also go off at 11:01am. At 11:01, one sound effect was heard and the ical popup listed all three events. So I think you may have a system problem. Try this test in a different user account. Also is mobileme/me.com/icloud involved with this? and is it on your computer or your mobile device or both? via usb syncing or cloud?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #22070 05/26/12 08:09 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

I have no internet connected mobile device. I might give the "other account" test a try.

I see that there is a plist file for iCal. I wonder what would be affected if I replaced it.

I see that on Saturday June 2nd I have 4 events scheduled. One is set for 8:45 two are set for 11:45 and one for 3:45. What will happen is that the earliest one will pop up, and if I don't close it, that is all that will happen.

Thanks to all...

Gregg #22100 05/31/12 09:25 PM

but if you dismiss the early alarm, the next ones go off? it does sound like a bug in behavior

Most of your iCal "data" is stored in (home)/Library/Application Support/iCal/ so you can back that folder up anytime. iCal also has an option to archive iirc. I just select the iCal folder and cmd-D to duplicate as a safety when I am going to be messing with ical.

You should be able to delete ical's preferences plist (and cache files in (home)/Library/Caches/iCal/) without affecting your data, but I don't know what the chances are of it solving your problem.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #22134 06/03/12 11:05 AM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
but if you dismiss the early alarm, the next ones go off?

That is apparently the key. I happened to be at the computer when an alarm message appeared (the only one set for that time) and I "dismissed" it, as you say. Then, lo and behold, later I was at the computer again when two alarms were set, and the window, for the first time in memory, showed both, with a scroll bar at the side. The other problem appears to be my lack of attention or observation skill. wink

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard