for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MacBook (early 2009)
#21758 04/29/12 04:13 AM
OP Offline

I just discovered the greatest renovation I've ever seen on this machine.....increased RAM, only this time it REALLY shows the improvement!

By Apple's technical specs, this machine max's out at 4 GB, however, according to Other World Computing (and other sources for RAM) it will actually accept an odd configuration of 2 dissimilar sized SODIMM's -- one 2 GB and one 4 GB for a total of 6 GB recognized and utilized by the system. So I went to Fry's and got a 4 GB SODIMM to see if it would actually work.....IT DID!

I've never seen such a noticeable performance increase solely on the addition of RAM prior to this.....perhaps it's the OSX 10.7 in 64 Bit mode that makes the difference?

Regardless, I thought I would mention it here in case anyone else had a similar machine (Tacit) and wanted to see noticeable change for minimal outlay.

edited to correct the spelling of Fry's...

Last edited by MacManiac; 04/29/12 12:54 PM.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Re: MacBook (early 2009)
MacManiac #21760 04/29/12 04:47 AM

I have a similar machine and had planned to try 6 GB in it, but sadly, that machine is defunct.

It started with a failure of the backlight. I got an identical machine with a bad logic board and replaced the screen. Shortly after, the DVD drive failed, followed shortly by the Bluetooth card. Then, when I was heading to London, one of the RAM slots failed; the computer will not boot with any RAM card in that slot. Oh, and the N key on the keyboard has a problem.

The last thing I ever used that computer for was to read from an EEG and drive flame jets from the output, writing brainwaves in jets of fire. Which, sadly, I got neither pictures nor video of. The computer went out with grace and dignity, but it is now quite dead.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
MacManiac #21763 04/29/12 10:01 AM

I've got the same MacBook, and I wouldn't mind investing a few bucks to see if I get the same performance boost with my OS X 10.6.8.

Although Crucial sticks to Apple's specs, they sell, but rate as incompatible, this Dimm (which looks compatible despite their protestations), and this OWC DIMM also looks to be the correct one, but I think I'd prefer a less expensive alternative to either; is this the DIMM you bought from Fry's (which you spelled differently, so I'm not even certain I'm in the right place)?

Alternatively, can you suggest another less expensive (but reliable tongue ) vendor if there is such a thing? (I've always used and been happy with Crucial, but since this is an experiment, and I don't run any particularly RAM intensive apps... )

Also, have you tried swapping your new RAM between slots to see whether there's any performance difference?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #21764 04/29/12 12:47 PM
OP Offline

That's the very same.....and the price online is actually a bit better than the price I paid in-store.

Nope, no slot swapping.....I figured it worked well on the first try (slot 1....the one closest to the battery connection - not slot 0, which is closest to the battery locking mechanism) so you are welcome to try the opposite configuration if so inclined.

edited to answer more than just one part of Artie's post

Last edited by MacManiac; 04/29/12 01:02 PM.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #21765 04/29/12 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
By Apple's technical specs, this machine max's out at 4 GB, however, according to Other World Computing (and other sources for RAM) it will actually accept [...] a total of 6 GB recognized and utilized by the system.

FWIW (and this may be one of your sources for this info), the excellent donationware utility Mactracker lists both 'Actual' and 'Apple' maximum RAM in many (if not all) cases where there is a difference. Mactracker may be a good starting point for those who want to explore the RAM expansion options for their Mac.

For those who wonder about this discrepancy, it has been said several times before on this forum and its predecessor MacFixIt that the maximum RAM number Apple provides for a particular Mac model depends (a.o.) on a snapshot of the options available at that model's release date. This number is rarely updated by Apple when these options change due to subsequent RAM developments.

alternaut moderator
MacManiac #21768 04/30/12 08:40 AM

Thanks; I'll try the swap and let everybody know how I make out, both swapping slots and in general.

A bit off-topic, perhaps, but an important heads-up to folks attracted by Fry's great price: I did not buy from them because of their warranty policy taken in combination with this.

Originally Posted By: Fry's
Warranty Information

Please write to Fry's Main Office for warranty information on products purchased at Frys.com:

Fry's Electronics
600 East Brokaw Road
San Jose, CA 95112

Thank you!

Snail mail, fer cryin' out loud?!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard