FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: File/folder sorting
artie505 #20917 02/28/12 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
The very first thing I see is something I've never seen before, namely that Xtrafinder (Edit: 0.1) is a flat package...opened, and presumably meant to be installed, by Pacifist.

That may just be Pacifist 3.x monopolizing the LaunchServices database (inadvertently). I think Apple's Installer.app is what the package's author presumed we would use... presumably.

Hal Itosis #20918 02/29/12 04:30 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Originally Posted By: artie505
The very first thing I see is something I've never seen before, namely that Xtrafinder (Edit: 0.1) is a flat package...opened, and presumably meant to be installed, by Pacifist.

That may just be Pacifist 3.x monopolizing the LaunchServices database (inadvertently). I think Apple's Installer.app is what the package's author presumed we would use... presumably.

I was able to change the default "Open with..." to Installer with no problems, and I e-mailed the developer, but do you think I need to contact Charles Srstka? (I've never run into this behavior with any other app.)

For a 0.1 release from what looks like a brand spanking new developer, XtraFinder looks great so far, except for the fact that the "Folders on top" functionality doesn't hold for more than about 10 secs, at which time it reverts and I've got to navigate away from my original location and back to get another 10 secs.

Functionality includes "Show invisibles" (Doesn't require Finder restart.), "Restart Finder," "Copy path," and an uninstaller right in the menulet's drop-down, with more promised. (I can't imagine it remaining free.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #20922 02/29/12 04:57 PM
OP Online

This is interesting... I just d/l'ed Safari directly from Apple, and not only did it come to me as a Pacifist client, but I was unable to change it to open with Installer...had to launch Installer and do a command-O.

I e-mailed Charles.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #20925 02/29/12 07:40 PM
OP Online

Charles Srstka's response to my e-mail:

Quote:
I’ve seen this a few other places, too — it seems that Installer.app is not registering the UTI for packages or metapackages, so LaunchServices is not preferring it over Pacifist. In 3.0.2, I’m just going to have Pacifist check whether the default app has shifted to it on startup, and change it if it has — this ought to fix it.

artie505 #20927 02/29/12 08:44 PM

Wonder what would happen if you reset the LaunchServices database? (I'm not suggesting such an experiment, mind you. shocked )

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #20928 02/29/12 09:41 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Wonder what would happen if you reset the LaunchServices database? (I'm not suggesting such an experiment, mind you. shocked )

Did it the day before the first anomalous d/l (as an unnecessary part of monthly maintenance).

I wonder whether this is maybe a Pacifist bug, because I can reliably reproduce it as long as v 3.0.1 is on my deuced Mac(hina), but it doesn't happen with v 3.0.0 or 2.6.4.

Edit: It's apparently not a bug. (See next post.)

Last edited by artie505; 02/29/12 10:13 PM.

artie505 #20929 02/29/12 10:08 PM
OP Online

Pacifist 3.0.2 has been released and corrects the anomalous behavior; it's available immediately through Pacifist's "Update" feature.

Originally Posted By: Charles Srstka
This is because 2.6.4 (My insert: and 3.0.0) were not UTI-aware. 3.0.x is, which is why LaunchServices is preferring over Installer, which for some bizarre reason isn’t.

Last edited by artie505; 02/29/12 10:11 PM. Reason: Add quote

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard