Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't figure out how I "broke" sharing protocol
#13151 12/04/10 04:56 AM
mseik Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,

Two Mac Minis: a G4 (running Leopard) and an Intel (running Snow Leopard), both with Airport Extreme cards. Originally, the "host" computer (ethernet-connected) was the G4. The original "secondary" computer (sharing ethernet connection via airport) was the Intel. No connection or sharing issues, ran this way for more than a month without incident.

Then I switched their Minis so that the Intel was "host" and the G4 was sharing the host's ethernet connection, and--to my knowledge--set up the sharing in the same way, just reversed on the computers to compensate for the switch. I can't seem to get the Intel to see itself as the host computer (airport icon is in receive rather than host mode) and--while the owner said the connection spontaneously established itself for around five days (the G4 was sharing the Intel's ethernet connection and she was able to connect to the internet wirelessly), it is now gone again.

I went around in circles tweaking sharing settings to try to fix the issue, but I've come up empty. If anyone has any insight into the funky conundrum, I would seriously appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mseik; 12/04/10 04:58 AM.
Re: Can't figure out how I "broke" sharing protocol
mseik #13159 12/04/10 02:36 PM
mseik Offline OP
OP Offline

If the post isn't clear enough or you need more info, please holler and I'll make it right. Thanks.

mseik #13180 12/05/10 08:45 PM

It sounds to me like the "remembered" first setup is getting in the way of the new arrangement......

You might try removing the network from within the Network PrefPane and then setting up again.......

Let us know how that works for you.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #13315 12/14/10 02:26 PM
mseik Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry my response took so long, and thank you for responding. I didn't get a response notice from the sys, so it slipped out of my squirrely brain.

I had actually done that... well, more than once. I established new network names and tried having them talk to only each other, but had the same outcome. Do you know if there's anything in the actual prefs folders I can trash or something to see if I can really and truly wipe the slate clean and start over?

Thanks.

Last edited by mseik; 12/14/10 02:28 PM.
mseik #13319 12/14/10 11:58 PM

mseik,
Quote:
I didn't get a response notice from the sys . . . .
Information in How to get email notification of replies may be of use to you.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #13340 12/16/10 12:19 AM
mseik Offline OP
OP Offline

Hah! Thanks, Dianne. That used to be toggled on (hence the "huh?" on not receiving notice). Who knows how I knocked that thing off, but your reminder had me back in there toggling that sucker back on.

In the slightly messy inflection of Daffy: Ttthhhank you very much.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard