Home
Posted By: kevs How force quit on a laptop - 04/07/10 07:16 PM
I can't figure out how to force quit and app from the dock without a mouse to right click with. thanks!
Posted By: jchuzi Re: How force quit on a laptop - 04/07/10 08:44 PM
Can't you do this with the trackpad? If you hold the left mouse button down on the dock icon (and I assume that that applies to the left button on the trackpad), you'll get a contextual menu. If the computer thinks that the app is stuck, one of the options will be Force Quit. If it merely says Quit, press Option and that will change to Force Quit. (Alternatively, use the right button on the trackpad.)

You can also use the three-finger salute, namely pressing Command-Option-esc and then follow the prompts. That doesn't do it from the dock, as you asked, but it's just as effective.

Posted By: kevs Re: How force quit on a laptop - 04/08/10 03:21 AM
got it Jon, thanks!
Posted By: artie505 Re: How force quit on a laptop - 04/08/10 10:15 AM
> "the left button on the trackpad" and "the right button on the trackpad"

Your trackpad is generations ahead of mine. grin
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: How force quit on a laptop - 04/08/10 11:09 AM

What artie means is that the glass multitouch trackpads on the current generation of MacBooks and MacBook Pros have no separate buttons. See Apple Portables: Using the Multi-Touch glass trackpad.
Posted By: artie505 Re: How force quit on a laptop - 04/09/10 12:54 AM
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
What artie means is that the glass multitouch trackpads on the current generation of MacBooks and MacBook Pros have no separate buttons. See Apple Portables: Using the Multi-Touch glass trackpad.

What I meant is that the new, buttonless trackpads haven't got both left and right click ("button") functionality, only right-click (albeit in two incarnations), and the old trackpads, which had a button, had neither left nor right-click functionality.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: How force quit on a laptop - 04/09/10 01:50 AM

Quote:
...the new, buttonless trackpads haven't got both left and right click ("button") functionality, only right-click...

Huh?

Originally Posted By: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3211
Tap to click
  • Turned off by default.

• Enable by clicking the checkbox.
Tap on the trackpad to select an item (equivalent to clicking on the bottom of the trackpad).

Secondary clicking
  • Turned off by default.

• Secondary clicking or “right-clicking” lets you access shortcut menu commands.
To secondary click, enable Tap to Click in Trackpad preferences, and then tap two fingers on the trackpad...

Yes, they're turned off by default, but surely those constitute left and right click trackpad functionality.
Posted By: artie505 Re: How force quit on a laptop - 04/09/10 06:36 AM
> Yes, they're turned off by default, but surely those constitute left and right click trackpad functionality.

Have I run afoul of never having used a mouse with more than one button, i.e. are left and right clicking the same control-click animal?

Expanding on your selection from Apple Portables: Using the Multi-Touch glass trackpad:
Quote:
To secondary click, enable Tap to Click in Trackpad preferences, and then tap two fingers on the trackpad. Or use Trackpad preferences to set up a secondary click zone in the bottom left or right corner of the trackpad. You can also secondary click by holding down the Control key while you click. (Emphasis added)
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: How force quit on a laptop - 04/09/10 10:50 AM

Quote:
...are left and right clicking the same control-click animal?

No. Right-clicking ("secondary clicking") is the functional equivalent of control-clicking. Left-clicking is, well, clicking.

We're getting way beyond the topic of this thread, but the point is this: though Jon's reference to right and left trackpad buttons was literally inaccurate, his point was correct. Right and left "mouse button" functionality is available on glass trackpad MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

The article I linked to doesn't explicitly refer to "left-clicking" (no doubt a Jobsian linguistic touch to uphold the historical correctness of the single-button mouse), but it clearly equates right-clicking with "secondary clicking," strongly implying that left-clicking would correspond to primary clicking...as in fact it has for many years in the non-Jobsian linguistic realm.
Posted By: artie505 Re: How force quit on a laptop - 04/09/10 10:57 AM
> No. Right-clicking ("secondary clicking") is the functional equivalent of control-clicking. Left-clicking is, well, clicking.

Comprende!

Thanks.
Posted By: tacit Re: How force quit on a laptop - 04/15/10 10:49 AM
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Yes, they're turned off by default, but surely those constitute left and right click trackpad functionality.

Though you don't need to turn them on in order to use two-finger trackpadding. Place two fingers on the trackpad and click the button (for older laptops) or place two fingers on the trackpad and push (for newer laptops)--that brings up a right-click menu even if tap-to-click is off, in my experience.
© FineTunedMac