Home
Posted By: ryck Unable to erase external drive - 04/13/23 01:04 PM
I have changed my CCC backup from a 500 GB drive to a 1T drive because I was running out of room. I now wish to re-use the 500GB drive but am unable to erase it.

Using Disk Utility, an attempt to erase gets this message:

Preparing to erase APFS Volume content
Checking mount state
The volume "OWC 500" on disk6s1 couldn't be unmounted because it is in use by process 0 (kernel)
Couldn't unmount disk. : (-69888)

Operation failed...

Leaving the drive attached I shut down the iMac and, after restart, tried again. Got the same message.

Thoughts.
Posted By: ryck Re: Unable to erase external drive - 04/13/23 02:32 PM
Nevermind....

I booted using Recovery (Command-R) and was able to erase successfully using Disk Utility.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Unable to erase external drive - 04/13/23 04:57 PM
For future reference, I can't date it, but for a while, now, I've run into failure notices when trying to erase a drive, but in every instance, simply rerunning "Erase" immediately has been successful.
Posted By: ryck Re: Unable to erase external drive - 04/13/23 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by artie505
I've run into failure notices when trying to erase a drive, but in every instance, simply rerunning "Erase" immediately has been successful.
It's also my experience that simply repeating the request will usually generate a result, but not in this case. I gave it a try two or three times but my machine was having none of it.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Unable to erase external drive - 04/14/23 12:22 AM
Be sure the drive has been removed from Time Machine before attempting to erase it. IIRC this is a fairly recent protection added to TM drives.
Posted By: ryck Re: Unable to erase external drive - 04/14/23 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Be sure the drive has been removed from Time Machine before attempting to erase it.
In this case, I don't think the TM drive would have been an issue as I was replacing the Carbon Copy Cloner drive. However, when drive changes are involved, I have always had a practice of going to "Shutdown" first.

Special Mention:

I had wondered about keeping my old Carbon Copy Cloner data and popped a quick note to CCC, advising how I thought I might do it. They were quick to respond with a "We don't advise that way because..." and provided guidance on the right way. Pretty good service.
© FineTunedMac