Home
Posted By: Douglas MacMini & solid state drive - 02/06/18 09:12 PM
I have a late 2012 model MacMini. I'm contemplating swapping out the HD for a Solid State Drive now that they are coming down in price.

Has anyone done this themselves or would this be better done by a professional?
Thanks
Posted By: artie505 Re: MacMini & solid state drive - 02/07/18 12:01 AM
joemikeb will probably direct you to OWC for professional service, and after looking at Mac Mini Late 2012 Hard Drive Replacement - iFixit, I can see why.

More amazing to me than the way some of these machines are put together is the design effort that must have gone into making them that way.

It kinda reminds me of when my daughter moved back to Brooklyn from Toronto and I unloaded the U-Haul that she had loaded; I had to stop more than once and say to myself "She put it together, so I've GOT to be able to take it apart."

As far as SSDs go, upgrading my MBP was almost life-changing. You won't regret whatever it costs.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: MacMini & solid state drive - 02/07/18 05:13 PM
I tried once to install an SSD in a Mac mini — I now use it as a paperweight. OWC's prices for the installation on another Mac mini were nominal and the turn around quick.
Posted By: Douglas Re: MacMini & solid state drive - 02/08/18 05:11 AM
Great info, many thanks.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: MacMini & solid state drive - 03/01/18 02:07 PM
+1 for OWC, I've been their customer many times.

Though you CAN find SSDs a lot cheaper other places. I prefer Sandisk Ultra II or similar for my SSDs. They're getting pretty cheap.
© FineTunedMac