Home
Posted By: Mainely Rick MB Pro flickering screen - 07/09/13 01:57 PM
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, 15." Old, and I like it!

When the screen/lid is up, the image occasionally breaks up into mostly blue horizontal lines, sometimes verticals.. Moving the lid a little fixes it. Somewhere I recall that this is due to wire problems at hinge points.
What to do and where? 3-1/2 hours+ from nearest Apple Store.
Thanks
Rick in Down East Maine
Posted By: joemikeb Re: MB Pro flickering screen - 07/09/13 07:57 PM
Call Apple Support and they can send you a box to mail your MBP to them for repair. They will repair it and mail it back to you. If it is still under warranty or Applecare there will be no charge, if not they will contact you and tell you what the repairs will cost and get your okay before proceeding.
Posted By: Mainely Rick Re: MB Pro flickering screen - 07/10/13 12:13 AM
Thanks for the prompt response. Apple Support's an option but, in my experience, incredibly expensive. Other options?
Regards
Rick in Maine
Posted By: artie505 Re: MB Pro flickering screen - 07/10/13 12:21 AM
Wait for Virtual 1 to respond to your post; he's an extremely knowledgeable Mac tech and will be able to give you the arguably best advice you can get here.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: MB Pro flickering screen - 07/10/13 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Mainely Rick
Thanks for the prompt response. Apple Support's an option but, in my experience, incredibly expensive. Other options?
Regards

Not to argue but I have found Apple to be competitive in price with the local independent Certified Apple Repair shops. So far I have never paid a dime for repairs at the Genius Desk, but I always buy Applecare.
Posted By: Mainely Rick Re: MB Pro flickering screen - 07/11/13 04:31 PM
Here's the latest. A local Mac tech consultant, new to me; seems like a good one, thinks it's the video cable. Subject to a final diagnosis, he's quoting about $150,parts and labor. The hitch now is that I haven't be able to make the problem happen on-demand. confused
Once it recurs, I shoot it with a digital camera and do a screen shot to send to him.
Thanks folks.
Rick in Maine
© FineTunedMac