Home
Posted By: artie505 Keyboard backlight won't stay on - 04/21/13 07:56 AM
(April 2010 15" MacBook Pro/2.66GHz/Core i7/4Gb RAM/OS X 10.6.8 (Build 10K549))

I've got this pref set, but my keyboard backlight insists on going off after an indeterminate (*) period of non-use all the same.

I tried trashing com.apple.systempreferences.plist, which floats to the top when I toggle the pref, and restarting, but all that did was somehow cost me my AirTunes, requiring a re-install of iTunes.

Has anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks.

(*) It went off after 6 minutes a little while ago, and just now it was still on after 15 minutes in precisely the same light.

Edit: Zapped PRAM and reset SMC...no joy. frown
Posted By: artie505 Re: Keyboard backlight won't stay on - 04/22/13 08:31 AM
Update: Reinstalled OS X 10.6.8 v 1.1 Combo with no joy.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: Keyboard backlight won't stay on - 04/22/13 10:19 AM

Are you across the room during the "period of non-use," or are you at the computer? Any chance you're between a light source and the MBP's ambient light sensor, thereby shading it, and that you unconsciously shift position, thereby unshading it?

My understanding is that the sensors were at some point (not specifically uncovered by me during modest research) moved from a location near a speaker to a location near the camera; the latter can sometimes allow low-trajectory light, which doesn't really illuminate the keyboard, to engage the sensor, thus dimming or shutting off the keyboard lighting.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Keyboard backlight won't stay on - 04/22/13 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Are you across the room during the "period of non-use," or are you at the computer? Any chance you're between a light source and the MBP's ambient light sensor, thereby shading it, and that you unconsciously shift position, thereby unshading it?

Thanks for the thought, but that's not my issue, which is that even in a pitch black room with my pref set for the backlight to never go out it goes out anyhow.

Originally Posted By: OS X Help
The light sensors are located in your computer’s speaker grilles, so make sure the grilles are not covered when you use your computer in low light conditions.

Again, though, that's got nothing to do with what's going on; the backlight goes on when it's supposed to go on, but it doesn't stay on as per my pref.

I didn't go thorough every Google hit on the subject, but there appear to be, i.e. have been, any number of assorted backlight issues, none of them resolved; I even found one poster who was told by AppleCare to reinstall OS X, and even that didn't work. (I think I'd rather live with the annoyance than reinstall OS X again.)

I've got to go to the Genius Bar anyhow; maybe I'll get lucky there.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Keyboard backlight won't stay on - 04/26/13 06:01 AM
Well, another menu bar icon is not the answer I'd prefer, but it's the only one I could find.

Lab Tick (Donationware) is working...so far; my backlight has not gone off since I installed it.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Keyboard backlight won't stay on - 05/26/13 08:03 PM
may be a hardware problem. inverter or backlight bulb in the lcd panel going downhill.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Keyboard backlight won't stay on - 05/27/13 09:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
may be a hardware problem. inverter or backlight bulb in the lcd panel going downhill.

Brand new Mac, but never say never.

I know those as display components...keyboard backlight too?
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Keyboard backlight won't stay on - 05/28/13 08:59 PM
oh sorry missed the keyboard part! I wasn't aware there was a pref to keep the keyboard backlight on when the ALS saw good lighting? I had a menu widget to override that awhile ago.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Keyboard backlight won't stay on - 06/18/13 05:24 AM
Update: AppleCare decided that if it was a software problem it would have been fixed long ago, sooo...maybe a new keyboard.

Nope. frown

© FineTunedMac