Home
Posted By: roger replacing hd in black early 2008 Macbook - 09/12/11 08:51 PM
the title pretty much says it! I'm replacing the hd in my black early 2008 MacBook 2.4 with a(n) Hitachi 500Gb 7200rpm drive. I am running Lion 10.7.1 and have CarbonCopyCloner available. I bought the kit with enclosure from OWC.

am I right in thinking I can clone the new hd in the enclosure and then swap the drives, or can I install the new drive, then clone from the old hd in the enclosure?

do I need to do anything differently with Lion? I have my Snow Leopard discs, but I do not have a Lion image.

thanks! grin
Posted By: tacit Re: replacing hd in black early 2008 Macbook - 09/12/11 11:54 PM
Either putting the new drive in the enclosure and cloning to it or putting the old drive in the enclosure and clonning fro it will work. I don't know of any gotchas with Lion.
Posted By: roger Re: replacing hd in black early 2008 Macbook - 09/12/11 11:54 PM
awesome, thanks!!
Posted By: roger Re: replacing hd in black early 2008 Macbook - 09/16/11 12:11 AM
just to check in to say it all went very well. the hd swap couldn't be easier, and the cloning took about four hours, and all's well. the fans ran a bit fast for awhile, but they've settled down now. I still need to prune some things but having 500Gb to work with is nice!

thanks for your help, tacit!
> "...having 500Gb to work with is nice!"

How about the 7200rpm?

If it's an upgrade from 5400 I'm curious about how noticeable a difference it makes.
Posted By: roger Re: replacing hd in black early 2008 Macbook - 09/16/11 12:09 PM
I haven't done any hd intensive stuff yet, but the whole thing seems a bit snappier. which is always good!
© FineTunedMac