Home
Posted By: slolerner My Back vs. My 13" MBP - 05/03/11 05:39 PM
My 13" MBP is still under Apple warranty soooo I don't want to really mess with it, but, the battery is so damn heavy and I bought it so I could leave my 15" at home. (Always have something available and working.) I know it was their selling point that the battery last a long time, but most places I go, I can plug it in. I don't want to pull the battery because:
1) It voids the warranty
2) It will not give me a 'soft landing' if someone trips over the cord (the downside of the magnetic connector), it won't go into that nice 'coma.'

Is there a smaller, lighter battery available for 'cripples' like me? I don't want a macbook air. Considered both very carefully before I bought this, don't want it.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: My Back vs. My 13" MBP - 05/03/11 10:10 PM
I would check your statement that removing the battery voids the MBP warranty, but it would certainly prevent any sort of "soft Landing" in the event of power loss.

As far as I know, there is no lighter weight battery available, and since a lighter weight battery would have proportionately less capacity while market demand is for ever more capacity it is unlikely anyone is going to tool up to make one.

You have already rejected the MacBook Air so that leaves you with a Netbook PC (yuck!) or an iPad. I have recently started carryng a 64GB iPad 2 3G instead of my old MacBook Air and I have never missed the MacBook Air. While I don't use the iPad for heavy data production for occasional or light data production or data use and consumption, I find it ideal. I find it is a great presentation tool and does quite well driving a projector with Keynote presentations, using it as a prompter on the lectern, or for showing information to one or two others. I often find myself using it for email in preference to my 27" quad core iMac. But that is just me.
Posted By: slolerner Re: My Back vs. My 13" MBP - 05/04/11 10:31 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but no Flash. (Muffled trombone sound: wonk wonk wonk wooooonk.)
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: My Back vs. My 13" MBP - 05/08/11 07:39 PM
It's very unlikely that removing your battery will cause apple to deny you warranty service, as long as you don't do any damage in the process.

The reason the battery is tampered down is because the connector on the board is NOT meant for many uses, and will break if you get into a habit of plugging and unplugging your battery frequently. A connector like that is rated for maybe 500 operations tops before failure becomes expected. Apple tampers it down to discourage people from buying a spare and swapping out as needed, wearing out the connector on the logic board. (which if you DID do, would NOT be covered by warranty)

Several times I've encountered cheap knockoff batteries. The most recent for 15" mbp. The IT head at the univ had bought all the staff with MBPs new batteries, on the cheap. They looked VERY similar, too similar for patent purposes probably, but were VERY light. Maybe 1/3 the weight. And they had about a 20 minute (really) runtime, new. They were "rated" the same watt hours (85?) as the original battery, but were obviously lying. So maybe you can find something like that for yours?
© FineTunedMac