Home
Posted By: MG2009 MacBook Pro Keyboard - 01/14/11 08:06 PM
I recently got a MBP and noticed there is the DELETE button (which is expected to be on the keyboard).

However, I see that there is no BACKSPACE button (which can also be handy). Is there a way to toggle/shift the DELETE button to also function as a BACKSPACE button? (I thought maybe the FN button would do the trick but, alas, it is not so.)

Thanks.

JUST FOUND A SOLUTION. The following application allows for keyboard shortcuts of all sorts . . . including the one I discussed:

http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

P.S. I use SHIFT + DELETE for the BACKSPACE/FORWARD DELETE function.
Posted By: dianne Re: MacBook Pro Keyboard - 01/15/11 03:22 PM
MG,
Quote:
I thought maybe the FN button would do the trick but, alas, it is not so.

Holding down fn while tapping the delete key should allow you to forward delete.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: MacBook Pro Keyboard - 01/15/11 11:54 PM
. . . . and so it DOES!!!

(Honestly, FN was not doing it before which is why I went on a search for an application that would allow me to do so . . . OR I had lost my "last marble" . . . which IS quite possible!)
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: MacBook Pro Keyboard - 01/16/11 06:11 PM
Moreover, control-k will "kill" (cut) all text from the right of the cursor, up to the end of the current paragraph. Subsequently, control-y will "yank" (paste) that particular buffer to the (new) cursor location. Both control-k and control-y work independently of ⌘X (and ⌘C) and ⌘V.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: MacBook Pro Keyboard - 01/16/11 06:40 PM

There is such a pile of keyboard shortcuts that I tend to ignore most of them - lazy, I guess. It sure is nice, though, to have the really useful ones pointed out to me.

Thanks for the tip!!!

P.S. Is there a simplified, COMPLETE list of all shortcuts available (besides the one provided under Keyboard in SYSTEM PREFERENCES)?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: MacBook Pro Keyboard - 01/16/11 08:20 PM
Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts
Posted By: MG2009 Re: MacBook Pro Keyboard - 01/16/11 11:46 PM
Thanks a heap. cool
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: MacBook Pro Keyboard - 01/17/11 03:38 AM
Odd... that page mentions control-k but not control-y (which gives control-k more utility). Command-V doesn't paste back what control-k cuts.

--{ posted from my iPad }--
Posted By: slolerner Re: MacBook Pro Keyboard - 01/18/11 09:57 PM
Like your new avatar, Hal.
© FineTunedMac