Home
Posted By: MG2009 Moving data from PPC to MacBook Pro - 01/08/11 02:07 AM
Currently I am using an iMAC PPC with Leopard.

I am getting a MacBook Pro and Time Capsule/Time Machine.

What is the best way (i.e. sequence of steps) to transfer all my files from the PPC to the MacBook? Is there a way NOT to transfer Leopard in the process since the notebook comes with Snow Leopard? What maintenance, if any, should I do on the iMAC and/or the notebook before I do the transfer of files?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated . . . and, no, you will not insult me if you make this a really simple explanation. grin

Thanks.

Posted By: artie505 Re: Moving data from PPC to MacBook Pro - 01/08/11 02:21 AM
The fresh out of the box MBP should not need any maintenance, and the iMac doesn't need any either, because you won't be moving the OS.

When you start up the MBP you'll be guided through a pretty straightforward process which will ask if you want to import your network settings and will give you the opportunity to import various other stuff, e.g. your apps and home folder, from another Mac via firewire, so the only thing you really need to do in preparation for the move is make sure you've got that cable.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Moving data from PPC to MacBook Pro - 01/08/11 06:08 AM
Great. Thanks for letting me know.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Moving data from PPC to MacBook Pro - 01/08/11 06:51 AM
Good luck with your new MBP (drool), and be sure to post immediately if you run into any issues.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Moving data from PPC to MacBook Pro - 01/13/11 05:40 PM
Things went quite well . . . it took about 7 hours to migrate using an ethernet cable (i.e. the Firewire "pin port" is smaller on the MacBook Pro than it is on the PPC, so the firewire cable I had was too large).

The only "snag" was while transferring my personal settings as the last step. It took about another 12 minutes or so to finish AFTER the "less than one minute remaining" message . Not sure what happened, but all pertinent files/folders/data seem to have moved as desired.

BTW: By default, LEOPARD (10.5) did not transfer - the only options for migrating were applications, files, folders, docs, etc. - but not the OS. SNOW LEOPARD (10.6) came through the process unscathed on the MacBook Pro as far as I can tell.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Moving data from PPC to MacBook Pro - 01/13/11 06:32 PM
Originally Posted By: MG2009
Things went quite well . . . it took about 7 hours to migrate using an ethernet cable (i.e. the Firewire "pin port" is smaller on the MacBook Pro than it is on the PPC, so the firewire cable I had was too large).
New Macs have FW 800 rather than FW 400 ports (as in older Macs). I migrated data (for a friend) under those circumstances and used a FW 400-800 adapter (available from Apple) but one can also use a FW 400-800 cable. The adapter is just a very short cable.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Moving data from PPC to MacBook Pro - 01/14/11 07:03 AM
1. Ooops! My bad... I forgot that new MBPs have only got FireWire 800 as opposed to the 400 & 800 that top-of-the-line Macs used to have.

2. I think we've all learned over time that those "minutes remaining" messages are less than accurate, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to either why or by how much.

3. In my original post I said, "you won't be moving the OS." There'd be little point to the migration function if it imported your old OS onto a brand new Mac along with your personal stuff (which is not to say that it can't be done under the proper circumstances if you want to do it).
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Moving data from PPC to MacBook Pro - 01/14/11 07:59 PM
Sorry about the confusion . . . I read you won't be moving the OS as "you" meaning "I/me." What you intended was "you" meaning the "procedure/equipment."

P.S. It does make sense that a older OS would not, by default, overwrite (or copy to) a machine which has a newer version of the OS.

Thanks again for your input.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Moving data from PPC to MacBook Pro - 01/14/11 09:50 PM
Originally Posted By: MG2009
Sorry about the confusion . . . I read you won't be moving the OS as "you" meaning "I/me." What you intended was "you" meaning the "procedure/equipment."

P.S. It does make sense that a older OS would not, by default, overwrite (or copy to) a machine which has a newer version of the OS.

Thanks again for your input.

That's right; sorry for being a bit obscure.

Macs are designed with zero backwards compatibility (although I believe there have been reports of some having been able to boot into a 1/10th point older version of OS X), so "makes sense" gives way to "virtually impossible."

I'm happy that your move worked out OK; I hope you're happy with your MBP...great machine.
© FineTunedMac