Home
Posted By: VirtualBob Migrating broken accounts - 10/03/09 08:40 AM
I used Carbon Copy Cloner to migrate my system and accounts but made an error and didn't copy some small misc system files. All the accounts are in tact and the Library and system directory. When I migrate back the accounts are there but Leopard will not boot into these accounts. Is there a way to reconnected the accounts or an article that describes this process?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/03/09 10:24 AM
> I used Carbon Copy Cloner to migrate my system and accounts but made an error and didn't copy some small misc system files.

That sounds like you used drag & drop to make a copy of your system rather than cloned it?

If so, those "small misc system files" are the invisible files that are the underpinnings of OS X that do not get copied to a d & d copy.

If that is what you did you're going to have to run an Archive & Install. (Be certain to check the "Preserve User and Network Settings" box if such is your intention and to back up any data you can't afford to lose.)

Boot from your install disc, and run Utilities>Disk Utility>"Repair Disk" before running A & I, but do not run A & I until DU has returned a clean bill-of-health; if it repairs anything, rerun it "n" times until it no longer does so. (DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro, and DriveGenius are all preferable to DU.)

Afterwards, you can reinstall any updates you need.

An A & I is generally quick and painless, but the specifics of your installation may complicate it.

Good luck. smile
Posted By: artie505 Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/03/09 10:41 AM
Please be sure to read my edited post before proceeding.
Posted By: VirtualBob Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/03/09 10:42 AM
No I used CCC to migrate rather than drag and drop, just forgot to tick a few small unix files as I was backing up to two drives. I'm now recreating the accounts and copying files over which is tedious, just wondered if there was another option where I could use say migration assistant to copy stuff back then somehow bless it to get the accounts to show at login.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/03/09 11:00 AM
Your problem goes beyond my ability to help; I suggest that you either wait for somebody more knowledgeable here or try the Bombich Software Forums, which may be even more helpful.
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/03/09 06:22 PM
Can you just repeat the migration and "tick misc files"? It is strange that you should have done that in the first place. Both CCC and SuperDuper copy the whole disk contents (minus dispensable files as per Apple instructions). I use SD and was never asked whether I needed to copy some files or not; just used the default "copy all files". This is the definition of cloning. If you cannot repeat for some reason, follow Artie's suggestion about Bombich forums.
Posted By: VirtualBob Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/04/09 12:03 AM
The full clone is the ideal choice when you have enough space. On CCC you can selectively back up portions of the drive. Its too late to repeat as I've wiped the source drive. Dumb user error in not selecting some unix invisibles for reasons I can't recall. I've just lost time, not data :-) The key data/pref files are backup up.
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/04/09 01:38 AM
I see... Then just follow Artie's advice about Archive and Install. Should work. I would add that a new external hard drive should be considered to remove space limitations. They are no longer expensive. May I also suggest something from OWC - they have a very good reputation.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/04/09 06:04 AM
> The full clone is the ideal choice when you have enough space. On CCC you can selectively back up portions of the drive.

Without OS X's invisible files those "portions of the drive" are backed-up as "info," not as a bootable clone, regardless of the fact that /Library and /System are included.

I still believe that an A & I is the way you've got to go; it will install a new operating system "around" your backed up user accounts, apps...whatever.

By the way... "Migration" sounds like no more than a fancy name for drag & drop (Edit: in your instance, anyhow).

Andreas... Where are you?
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/04/09 06:38 AM
I am not sure that it is drag and drop. CCC menu has an option for incremental backup of selected items to a target. By default, all folders on the source including invisible ones are displayed and ticked. One can then manually select what you want to copy to the target. Looks like it is missing an automatic option present in SuperDuper to copy the difference between source and target to the target (automatically synchronize), which is very useful for scheduled backups. Unless one creates a shell script to do it. I think, Mike and Andreas should think about automating synchronization (unless it is there, but I could not find it) to avoid cases like the present one.
On the other hand, I would prefer a full backup every time without messing with custom schemes; with both apps it takes about an hour for a 50 GB worth of data.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/04/09 07:13 AM
> I am not sure that it is drag and drop. CCC menu has an option for incremental backup of selected items to a target.

Technically speaking, you're correct; VirtualBob's "migration" is not d & d.

Realistically speaking, though, when you select "Incremental (Emphasis added) backup of selected items" (which sounds like your "synchronize") and start un-ticking boxes to save space you run the risk of excluding necessary system files and, as VirtualBob did, winding up with the equivalent of a d & d backup, i.e. an unbootable one.
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: Migrating broken accounts - 10/04/09 06:57 PM
Agree! This is why I would prefer an automated synchronization like in SD; this way necessary system files would also be updated and nothing would be missed like during manual copy. I still think, along with everybody else here, that a full cloning should preferably be done. Bob needs a new Firewire external to copy his HD to.
© FineTunedMac