Home
OS 10.5 on an iBook G4. It's my wife's machine, somewhat weary but runs for what she wants.
On startup, it progresses as far as gray apple and spinning gear. Have run Disk Warrior...passed, Tech Tool Pro..passed. Applejack running as I write this, on my MBP!
What's up?
Thanks for your good help.
Rick in Maine

Have you tried Starting up in Safe Mode?

Other things to try might be found in Gray screen appears during startup.
Thanks for the fast reply and the info and good links.
Applejack successfully completed it's run, computer restarted back to same gray screen with logo and spinning gear.
Rebooting in Safe Mode leads to same point, no further. The links you provided indicated gray screen is likely caused by peripherals, 3rd party devices. None are installed or connected.
Right now, am just letting the gear spin away. May leave it like this a while.
Other ideas welcome.
Gratefully,
Rick in Maine
Originally Posted By: Mainely Rick
The links you provided indicated gray screen is likely caused by peripherals, 3rd party devices.

You misread that article: peripherals are frequently the cause of a persistent gray startup screen, but by no means the only cause. You may want to work your way down the article.
Thanks for pointing that out. Short of reinstalling the OS, I have done everything in the article that applies.
So, is that all I've got left is to scrub the HD and reinstall? tongue

Thanks
Rick
Originally Posted By: Mainely Rick
So, is that all I've got left is to scrub the HD and reinstall? tongue

Hopefully, but not necessarily: the iBook could be beyond repair (within reasonable effort, that is). Did you try to boot from a MacOS X Install DVD or any other bootable DVD? If that works there is still hope, and a Mac OS X reinstall may then be all that's required.
booting into verbose mode is very likely to yield useful information
© FineTunedMac