Home
Posted By: jaybass TTP 6.0.3 - 01/01/12 02:50 PM
Yesterday I installed TTP 6 and I set up an eDrive partition.
When I used eDrive as the start up volume in order to use all the functions, the only way I could revert back to my HD was to restart with the option key down.
Is that the only way back to the HD?
jaybass
Posted By: Ira L Re: TTP 6.0.3 - 01/01/12 05:10 PM
So you are saying that just an ordinary restart of your computer still started you up in the eDrive? Normally that should select the default internal HD.
Posted By: ryck Re: TTP 6.0.3 - 01/01/12 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
Is that the only way back to the HD?

Following up on what Ira said, the Option key startup is one of several handy Startup Key Combinations but it should have been temporary.

What happens when you restart and reset your startup disk using the System Preferences/System/Startup Disk method?
Posted By: jaybass Re: TTP 6.0.3 - 01/01/12 05:58 PM
I should add that after the HD volume was active, I opened system prefs and locked the start-up HD. The next time I started up, I checked the start-up volume and the lock was open! Is that normal?
However, my computer now starts with the internal HD.
I have opened S/Ps and there is a network startup icon with a question mark over it. I assume that is the eDrive?
Since TTP is working fine, I'll just have to get used to it.
If you have any suggestions, please advise.
jaybass

Posted By: jaybass Re: TTP 6.0.3 - 01/01/12 06:02 PM
Selecting the internal startup disc is what I have done and everything seems to be fine. Thanks for your interest.
jaybass
Posted By: joemikeb Re: TTP 6.0.3 - 01/01/12 10:46 PM
FYI there are at least three ways of booting from TTP's eDrive and how to return to the regular boot drive depends entirely on which of these you use:
  1. Option Boot (Holding down the option key during a boot/reboot and selecting the eDrive) — will automatically return to the normal boot drive on the next boot/reboot
  2. In TTP > Tools > eDrive clicking on Restart eDrive will automatically return to the normal boot drive when you exit TTP on the eDrive or if you reboot while you are booted from the eDrive
  3. System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the eDrive will NOT automatically revert to the normal startup disk. You will have to again go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the normal boot drive.
Posted By: jaybass Re: TTP 6.0.3 - 01/02/12 01:37 AM
Thanks for pointing out the (3) options.
However, option #3 as you say, will not revert back to the normal start -up disk.
But I found that after rebooting after using the eDrive, the screen was yellow covered with eDrive icons and system prefs would not open in order to select the startup volume. That is when I had to reboot with the option key down. Did I read your post correctly? I only installed TTP 6 (2) days ago so I really appreciate your informative reply.

jaybass
Posted By: tacit Re: TTP 6.0.3 - 01/02/12 04:06 AM
I should add that after the HD volume was active, I opened system prefs and locked the start-up HD. The next time I started up, I checked the start-up volume and the lock was open! Is that normal?

Clicking the lock does not lock the startup drive. It's not clear to a lot of people, but the lock icon in system preferences never "locks" a setting. Instead, the lock is there as a way for you to enter an Administrator password, for settings that require a password.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: TTP 6.0.3 - 01/02/12 12:59 PM
But I found that after rebooting after using the eDrive, the screen was yellow covered with eDrive icons and system prefs would not open in order to select the startup volume. That is when I had to reboot with the option key down.

I am unclear on exactly what the actual sequence of events were, but the yellow screen with eDrive icons is the normal Desktop when you are booted from the eDrive. That is what you should see anytime you are booted from the eDrive.
Posted By: jaybass Re: TTP 6.0.3 - 01/02/12 03:06 PM
Something else I didn't know. Worth remembering.
Thank you,
jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: TTP 6.0.3 - 01/02/12 03:20 PM
My previous TTP 4 had the eDrive option but I had never used it.

I pretty sure I must have rebooted from the eDrive without realizing what would
happen. Anyway, and with your help, I have learnt from my errors.
Have a good new year,
jaybass

© FineTunedMac