Home
Posted By: jaybass downloads in dock - 08/22/09 01:11 PM
OS 10.5.8 imac 4 Gb ram

Yesterday I dragged a download item from the dock and then
proceeded as usual.

Then I noticed that the downloads had disappeared from the dock.

How can I get it back?
jaybass.
Posted By: roger Re: downloads in dock - 08/22/09 01:41 PM
the Download folder? you can open a Finder window, and just drag the Downloads folder back into the Dock.
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: downloads in dock - 08/22/09 05:34 PM
I believe that when there is something in that folder it reappears in the Dock. I find it kind of awkward and always instruct browsers to download to the Desktop. This way I do not need to go elsewhere to open a file.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: downloads in dock - 08/22/09 06:29 PM

Quote:
I believe that when there is something in that folder it reappears in the Dock.

Not so. To research this, try setting your browser to download to your Downloads folder temporarily. You'll see that that folder's presence on or absence from on the Dock is unrelated to whether or not it contains any files.

As for awkwardness, I'd argue that it's a lot less trouble to open up an easily accessible folder from the Dock than to move aside open windows to hunt for an icon amidst the clutter of the Desktop.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: downloads in dock - 08/22/09 06:29 PM
By default the Downloads folder is installed in the Dock. If it is dragged off of the Dock, it will not reappear unless you drag it back regardless of whether there is anything in it or not. At least that is the behavior on my Macs running OS X 10.5.8.
Posted By: Mississauga Re: downloads in dock - 08/22/09 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

[quote]... I'd argue that it's a lot less trouble to open up an easily accessible folder from the Dock than to move aside open windows to hunt for an icon amidst the clutter of the Desktop.
Of course, shame on anyone with a cluttered Desktop! And lots of open windows in the way; isn't that the purpose of Exposé?
wink
Posted By: Gregg Re: downloads in dock - 08/22/09 08:02 PM
laugh

That was my reaction as well. What clutter? Not on my Desktop! blush
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: downloads in dock - 08/22/09 08:58 PM

Quote:
Of course, shame on anyone with a cluttered Desktop! And lots of open windows in the way; isn't that the purpose of Exposé?

I don't have a cluttered Desktop, but if the 106 items currerntly residing in my Downloads folder were all on my Desktop I sure would. I thought that was the real purpose behind the Downloads folder: to institute a default behavior which protects the terminally lazy from the performance penalty a cluttered Desktop exacts.

As for Exposé, I don't like it and never use it...but doesn't that require an extra step? You still have to clear the windows out of the way before finding the downloaded file. And if you're so organized that you only ever have the single most-recently downloaded file on the Desktop, why not avoid FInder altogether and open it from within your browser's Download manager window?
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: downloads in dock - 08/23/09 08:23 AM
You were right about the Downloads folder. As for the clutter, I don't have one either. The downloaded items get rearranged to appropriate folders at least once a week or trashed after use, like software updates. Of course, it is a matter of preference.
P.S. I am not sure about Roger's post. If I open the Finder, I do not see the downloads folder. My downloads folder is in the Users>my name>Downloads
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: downloads in dock - 08/23/09 11:53 AM

Like me, Roger probably has his Finder prefs set to open new windows to his Home folder, so opening a FInder window gives easy one-click access to his Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Photos, Public, and Sites folders.
Posted By: jaybass Re: downloads in dock - 08/23/09 12:02 PM
To all who responded to my query, thank you.

Before I checked the forum, I used my backup to get back where I was.

However, if I should lose my downloads again, I would just drag the downloads to the dock. Much simpler.

jaybass
Posted By: roger Re: downloads in dock - 08/23/09 01:15 PM
dk is correct, but I also made an assumption that once a Finder window was open, one could navigate to and drag the Downloads folder.

/slaps own wrist cool
Posted By: artie505 Re: downloads in dock - 08/24/09 08:39 AM
Originally Posted By: roger
dk is correct, but I also made an assumption that once a Finder window was open, one could navigate to and drag the Downloads folder.

/slaps own wrist cool

I extrapolated from your words to your intent...no great mystery...no wrist slapping called for.
© FineTunedMac