Home
Posted By: jaybass stopping disk image progress - 11/28/22 06:17 PM
OS 10.14.6
I thought I would create a password for a folder via utilities. I find I am creating a disk image which looks like it is taking forever

How can I stop it? If I rebooted using my backup, would that remove the problem?

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/28/22 08:07 PM
Just restarting may be enough.
Posted By: jaybass Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/28/22 08:26 PM
I tried to restart but disk utility wouldn't let me. The same for shut down! This thing has taken over.

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/28/22 08:35 PM
Have you tried to FORCE quit DU via Apps/Utilities/Activity Monitor?

(If DU won't even let you restart/shut down, will it let you boot into another volume?)
Posted By: jaybass Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/28/22 08:44 PM
I have just force quit DU and the window disappeared. Does that mean everything is back to square one?

How do I know for sure?

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/28/22 09:11 PM
I assume that all is back to square one if the window has disappeared, but look in Activity Monitor. DU should no longer be running.
Posted By: artie505 Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/29/22 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by jaybass
OS 10.14.6
I thought I would create a password for a folder via utilities. I find I am creating a disk image which looks like it is taking forever
By the way, I'm not aware of any way to password-protect a folder in Disk Utility (or otherwise on macOS) without creating a password-protected disk image to contain it.

I believe I've run across 3rd party utilities that will do it, though.
Posted By: jaybass Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/29/22 03:50 PM
When I duck ducked a way to create a password for a folder, there were serveral suggestions using DU

However, I'll leave it for now.

Thanks for your input.

jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/29/22 05:07 PM
artie,

Have successfully created a folder with a password using DU. When I click on it, it asks for my new password and when I click ok. it creates another dmg which allows me to access my account. Great!

Problem is, the next time I click on the first dmg, it does not work. If I trash the second dmg and again click on the original dmg, it asks for the password ok. This means of course that before I can successfully use the first dmg, I have to

trash the second dmg before the first one will work. I guess I could manage that but why is it happening? Any ideas?

jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/29/22 06:31 PM
I have decided to dispense with the passworded folder...too much trouble.

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/30/22 10:51 AM
I'd really love to be looking over your shoulder.

I've successfully done what you're trying to do more than once, and never with any issues, so I can't begin to guess what's going wrong.
Posted By: jaybass Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/30/22 04:36 PM
Tell me how you did it and where do you live?

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: stopping disk image progress - 11/30/22 08:05 PM
I used DU to create an empty encrypted disk image and then dragged my folder into it. Additionally, I just created a disk image from a folder with expected success.

When you said you wanted to password-protect a folder I took you literally...why I said it couldn't be done in DU.

I live in NYC.
Posted By: artie505 Re: stopping disk image progress - 12/01/22 04:09 AM
To be more specific: Disk Utility > File > New Image > Image from Folder > Select folder > Select encryption > Select format (presumably read/write)

Caveat: I'm don't know if a dmg created thusly will allow for the addition of much new info. Your best option may be to create an empty dmg of sufficient size for your purposes...either that or a sparse bundle disk image.
© FineTunedMac