Home
Posted By: joyss Appleworks to iWork - 12/28/09 06:19 PM
Is there any way I can convert an Appleworks data base (for labels) into an iWorks program?
Thanks. (*_*)

iMac 10.6.2
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Appleworks to iWork - 12/28/09 09:41 PM
There is currently no database tool in iWorks. However, assuming you still have a working copy of Appleworks, you can export the Appleworks database as a Tab Delimited, Comma, Separated file that can then be imported into AddressBook. From there they may be printed as
  • Mailing labels
  • Envelopes
  • Lists
  • Pocket Address Book

AddressBook probably offers the broadest range of compatibility with other applications but once you have the database in Tab Delimited, Comma Separated format it can be imported into any number of other applications including:
  • Apple's iWork Numbers
  • Microsoft Excel or Entourage
  • Filemaker Bento
  • Either the spreadsheet or database module of NeoOffice
  • any one of a large number of other applications that can be used to manage, organize, print, etc. mailing lists.
Posted By: roger Re: Appleworks to iWork - 12/28/09 10:04 PM
if the database to be converted is something other than addresses (household inventory, e.g.) what kind of mess (sorry, I can't think of another word!) would that create in your Address Book? why not go right into Numbers, or any of the others you listed?
Posted By: Gregg Re: Appleworks to iWork - 12/29/09 02:42 PM
Not to iWork, but you could try Bento
Posted By: joyss Re: Appleworks to iWork - 12/31/09 09:35 PM
Thanks - I'll give it a try as soon as I find what a "Tab Delimited, Comma, Separated file" is. (ø_ø)
Posted By: Bensheim Re: Appleworks to iWork - 12/31/09 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
There is currently no database tool in iWorks. However, assuming you still have a working copy of Appleworks, you can export the Appleworks database as a Tab Delimited, Comma, Separated file .......]

Not without a file-converter you can't.

I've got AppleWorks. The database only Saves-As ASCII text. From there you can put it into FileMaker but from there it messes up all the field settings. How do I know? I just spent all afternoon on this very exercise. That was fun.

Posted By: dianne Re: Appleworks to iWork - 12/31/09 10:56 PM
Hello, joyss

In case Peggy's response in this link -- Exporting Appleworks Database files (old address list) into Address Book -- might be of help to you.

In short,
Originally Posted By: Peggy
Export your AppleWorks database as ASCII text & add the .txt extension. . . . This will result in a tab-delimited text file that Address Book can import.
Posted By: joyss Re: Appleworks to iWork - 01/03/10 09:29 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try!! (*_*)
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Appleworks to iWork - 01/04/10 07:51 PM
fyi a search on versiontracker for "addressbook" yields lots of useful hits. There are quite a few pieces of software for importing and exporting addressbooks.
© FineTunedMac