Home
Posted By: plantsower Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/02/20 01:23 AM
It there a utility that will help me open an xlsm document on my Mac? I don't have excel which is what some recommend to use.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/02/20 01:52 AM
You should be able to get Apple's Numbers as a free d/l from the App Store, and I'm pretty sure it will open Excel docs (which .xlsm docs are).
Posted By: plantsower Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/02/20 03:48 AM
I guess I gave you the wrong impression or maybe not. My work schedule usually comes in pdf format but, for some reason, it came in .xlsm format. I will try that, but not sure how to make it work. Hope it's a simple process. Here I go. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Originally Posted by artie505
You should be able to get Apple's Numbers as a free d/l from the App Store, and I'm pretty sure it will open Excel docs (which .xlsm docs are).
Posted By: plantsower Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/02/20 04:09 AM
Well, no surprise. I can't figure out how to use it. ☹️☹️

Posted By: plantsower Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/02/20 04:26 AM
OK, I accidentally got it to work. I looked in my email where the pdf was attached after I downloaded Numbers, and the attached xlsm file had the Number icon on it instead, so I opened it. Thanks for the idea.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/02/20 05:17 AM
Well, I'm not sure how that happened, but I"m happy to hear that it worked.

(You should have been able to launch Numbers, hit ⌘-O, and select the .xlsm doc on your desktop.)
Posted By: plantsower Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/02/20 05:30 PM
The problem is that the document wasn't in my documents, it was just in my email, so Numbers somehow could find it to open it without me going to the email and clicking on the document there.

Well, I'm not sure how that happened, but I"m happy to hear that it worked.

(You should have been able to launch Numbers, hit ⌘-O, and select the .xlsm doc on your desktop.)
Posted By: Ira L Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/03/20 04:54 PM
You should be able to drag the icon for the document from the email onto your Desktop and then do as everyone above is suggesting. Alternatively you could download the document like you would any other attachment.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/03/20 05:56 PM
Thanks. It worked out, but next time I will try that. I just had no idea how to use it.

Originally Posted by Ira L
You should be able to drag the icon for the document from the email onto your Desktop and then do as everyone above is suggesting. Alternatively you could download the document like you would any other attachment.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/03/20 06:24 PM
An email with an attachment shows this when you hover your cursor. Clicking on the paperclip icon calls up a "Save To..." dialog pane with which you can save it to your desktop, documents...wherever you prefer.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/03/20 09:45 PM
I see the paperclip at the end of the email and also the vlsm icon on the bottom of my email. I can control click the icon and it opens or even just click on it because it shows the Numbers icon. Clicking the paperclip does not offer me a save option but the control click on the icon does. Anyway, it works now.

An email with an attachment shows this when you hover your cursor. Clicking on the paperclip icon calls up a "Save To..." dialog pane with which you can save it to your desktop, documents...wherever you prefer.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/04/20 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by plantsower
Clicking the paperclip does not offer me a save option but the control click on the icon does. Anyway, it works now.
Clicking on the paper clip should call up the top option here.

Selecting "All" (see bottom option) enables you to save all attachments to a single location, and selecting them one at a time enables you to save to more than one location.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/04/20 01:43 AM
When I click on the paperclip, all I get is a copy of the email. It's okay. It's working like I said it was.

Clicking the paperclip does not offer me a save option but the control click on the icon does. Anyway, it works now.
Clicking on the paper clip should call up the top option here.

Selecting "All" (see bottom option) enables you to save all attachments to a single location, and selecting them one at a time enables you to save to more than one location.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/04/20 01:46 AM
When I click on the paperclip, all I get is a copy of the email.
This has been an altogether strange sequence of events.

Oh, well, as long as something works. tongue
Posted By: plantsower Re: Need to open an xlsm extension - 10/04/20 03:55 AM
It always seems to be strange when I'm involved. confused

When I click on the paperclip, all I get is a copy of the email.
This has been an altogether strange sequence of events.

Oh, well, as long as something works. tongue
© FineTunedMac