Home
Posted By: jaybass plant ID for iMac - 08/23/20 10:38 PM
OS 19.12.6

I seem to recall plant ID app for an iMac but I cannot find one anywhere now. Does anyone know where I can download such an app?

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: plant ID for iMac - 08/24/20 12:10 AM
Landscaper's Companion for Mac is the only one I can find, but based on your earlier posts on the same subject, I don't think it's what you're looking for.
Posted By: jaybass Re: plant ID for iMac - 08/24/20 12:36 AM
I remember a free app but not the name which required that I download Bluestacks which I did. I couldn't download the next part for some reason. I have just looked at my previous post on the subject I didn't mention the app's name as you know.
The one you refer to is not free and for the amount of times I would use it doesn't warrant the cost.

Thanks for looking,

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: plant ID for iMac - 08/24/20 01:52 AM
Bluestacks is an Android emulator that, per its website, will run on a Mac, so if you can get it up and running you can d/l any of the several free Android apps I ran across as I was searching.

Based on what I've read, it's your only option, because every native Mac app I ran across was for iPhone and/or iPad only.

I note, though, that Bluestacks is NOT AT ALL well reviewed: BlueStacks for Mac
Posted By: joemikeb Re: plant ID for iMac - 08/24/20 12:36 PM
There are good ones for iOS including PlantSnap that identifies plants from a photo of the leaf. But none of them have made it to the Mac. I eagerly await the day when iOS/iPadOS apps will run on the Mac. That is supposed to happen in Big Sur, but I can't figure out how to install them yet.
Posted By: jaybass Re: plant ID for iMac - 08/24/20 02:51 PM
The plant shots I take are then emailed to my son's iMac which I can then access in his iPad (which I have at the moment) and then install them into Plantnet which is a pretty good free app.

artie, I did download Bluestacks but I think I'll delete as I can't find a use for it.

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: plant ID for iMac - 08/24/20 03:33 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
artie, I did download Bluestacks but I think I'll delete as I can't find a use for it.

If you can get it to work, you can apparently use it to run one of the free Android plant ID apps on your iMac, but as I said, it's not well reviewed...terribly reviewed, actually.

Since you've got an alternative, trashing it sounds like the smart thing to do...unless you're into hair tearing.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: plant ID for iMac - 08/24/20 05:14 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
The plant shots I take are then emailed to my son's iMac which I can then access in his iPad (which I have at the moment) and then install them into Plantnet which is a pretty good free app.

I just did a scan of the iOS App Store and gave up counting plant identification apps when I got to fifty. Most of which are free, at least to start with, I didn't try to chase all the "in-app purchase" options. It appears the developers of plant, bird, and animal identification apps are all of the opinions their users are far more likely to have an iPhone available when identifying plants than they are to have a Mac or even an iPad. (Certainly, that is true in my case.)

Not to mention, the iPhone market is several orders of magnitude bigger than the Mac market.
Posted By: artie505 Re: plant ID for iMac - 08/24/20 05:21 PM
Also not to mention that the iPhone has got a handy camera for visual input.
© FineTunedMac