Home
Posted By: jaybass Word app - 04/14/20 12:08 AM
OS 10.12.6

I have a document in Word. What do I save it as that will open in a post?

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: Word app - 04/14/20 12:49 AM
The closest I can come to an answer is I got a Word (.docx) document from my sister the other day, and I haven't got Word, but it opened by default in TextEdit.
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/14/20 01:18 AM
Artie,

I have just saved my file as (.docx)...I'll see if works.

/Users/admin/Desktop/VIRUS.docx

jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/14/20 01:20 AM
I guess it didn't work.
I think someone will help me out.

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: Word app - 04/14/20 01:32 AM
You may not have tested correctly.

You need to do a Get Info on your .docx, and under the "Open with" disclosure arrow select TextEdit.

Your doc opened in Word by default because you've got it, so you've got to "trick" macOS.
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/14/20 02:14 AM
I'll try again.

I selected open with text edit but it would not open.

It's after 11pm. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks

jaybass

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: Word app - 04/14/20 02:52 AM
I haven't got MS Word, and this is what I see when I do a Get Info on my .docx. Note the "(default)."
Posted By: freelance Re: Word app - 04/14/20 09:26 AM
Alternatives to try: Pages.app, Preview app, or online you can search for docx to pdf converter. Any use?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Word app - 04/14/20 10:01 AM
You don't need a .docx to pdf converter. You can convert the file to a pdf via the print dialog box.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Word app - 04/14/20 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
You don't need a .docx to pdf converter. You can convert the file to a pdf via the print dialog box.

..and one of the options in the Print to PDF dialog is "Send in Mail'.
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/14/20 01:51 PM
Joe,

I have a document sent by email which I want post. I took a screen shot to remove certain parts. Using word, I have 'saved as' to .docx, XML, pdf, text edit and others but I must be on the wrong track. I am not really familiar with word, is that what I should be using?

jaybass
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Word app - 04/14/20 06:48 PM
The app you are using is immaterial as modern word processors such as Word, Pages, NeoOffice, Mellel are capable of producing output in a variety of formats. Text Editors such as TexEdit, BBEdit, etc. can also output a variety of formats but those editors will have a different set of output formats and in general both the editor and their output formats are ill suited for highly formatted documents.

The key to which output format to use is what do you intend to do with the document that you are producing.

When you say you want to post the edited document
  • Where are you going to post it?
  • Does the posting site have any requirement on file types?
  • Are there graphics in the document?
  • If your intent is a document that will be viewed online or possibly downloaded and printed out but not edited, PDF is ideal because it will look exactly the same on everyone's computer and there will not be any issues with differing font on different computer, but PDF is not easily edited (which can be advantageous) and there may be a few, very few, people who do not have the ability to open PDF files. (unless there are other overriding considerations PDF would be my choice)
  • If your intent is a file that others can download and edit then Rich Text Format (.rtf) is unquestionably the most universal format virtually any text editor or word processor can open and edit rich text files, but it may not be ideal if the original document was heavily formatted.
  • If the document will become part or all of a page on a website then HTML would be an option depending on the preferences of the person who maintains the site.
  • If the intent is a document for others to open and colaberately edit while maintaining an edit trail then .DocX would work as most modern word processors can handle the format.

Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/15/20 01:19 PM
I would like to post it on this forum. It is in plain text with no graphics.

Anyone can do whatever they like with it.

I have dragged it in as a .rtf, docx and others but I cannot open it afterwards.

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Help!

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: Word app - 04/15/20 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
I would like to post it on this forum. It is in plain text with no graphics.

If I"m understanding that, all you've got to do is copy your plain text document, paste it into the "Post" box using the "Quote some text" tags, add whatever cover/descriptive text you want (outside of the tags), and hit "Submit."

There's no need to post the document itself, and, indeed, it's impossible to do so, although you can post a screenshot of your document elsewhere and link to it here, as such:

To post a screenshot or other type of image...
  1. Go to https://imgur.com/upload.
  2. Either drag your image into the window or browse for it.
  3. Click on "Copy" in the next window to copy your image's URL to your clipboard.
  4. Create a link using FTM's "Create a link..." tags...2nd icon from the left.
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/15/20 04:48 PM
Lets give it a shot,

Humor.pdf

This is copied and pasted.

jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/15/20 04:50 PM

No go

jaybass
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Word app - 04/15/20 08:52 PM
In Safari, click on a post in this thread then click on Reply.

Open the document in what app you please. Select a character, word, or paragraph in the document then press ⌘A which should select the entire content of the document. Press ⌘C to copy the selected content to the clipboard.

Back in Safari click on the FTM input window and press ⌘V to paste the contents of the clipboard into the FTM window.

Click Submit
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/16/20 03:48 PM
Joe,
I have the pdf doc. on the desk top. I opened it in adobe and clicked the screen which highlighted all. Since everything was highlighted I didn't use apple A. I then clicked apple C.

Back to the FTM window I pressed apple V...nothing appeared. I did not click submit because there was nothing there.

I also went the apple A route but it didn't make any difference. jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: Word app - 04/16/20 03:51 PM
Try with a TextEdit version.

I don't understand why, but sometimes I can copy from a PDF and paste what I"ve copied, and some times I can copy but not paste.
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/16/20 04:19 PM
I tried with text edit..no
Posted By: artie505 Re: Word app - 04/16/20 04:24 PM
There's absolutely no reason for you to be having all this trouble.

I'd love to be looking over your shoulder.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Word app - 04/16/20 05:42 PM
When you say you opened the document in adobe is that Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat? It sounds as if your PDF document does not have an OCR (optical character recognition) layer. In other words it is in essence a photographic image in PDF format. The OCR layer is required for selecting the text. If you are using Adobe Acrobat you can OCR the document there. If you are using Adobe Reader then you will need Adobe Acrobat or any one of another apps available on the App Store to perform the OCR.
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/16/20 09:37 PM
I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. The only difference from the email doc. was that I removed the sender's name. It is a one page text.

Do I have the right Adobe?

jaybass
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Word app - 04/16/20 11:08 PM
NO and Adobe Acrobat is VERY expensive. You will need another software app to OCR the document. There are a number on the App Store. What is the extension on the original document you received? If you can't see the extension select th document and press ⌘I and you can find the extension there.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Word app - 04/17/20 12:00 AM
I just reread your post just follow these instructions
  • Open the document in Word
  • Select the entire text and press ⌘C
  • Click in the FTM entry window
  • Press ⌘V

That SHOULD copy the text of the document into the window. You do not have to copy or put a file in the input window just the CONTENT of that file.
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/17/20 02:27 AM
Interesting reading.

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code.  (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own.  The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile;  the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat.  That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam).  By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat;  this is why it is so good to use water above 77 degrees Fahreheit for washing hands, clothes and everything.  In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE SERVES.  The virus is not a living organism like bacteria;  they cannot kill what is not alive with anthobiotics, but quickly disintegrates its structure.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth.  While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, because it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates).  ), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic).  But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars.  They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness.  Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein.  For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect.  Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and skin cancer.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve.  The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES!  It is 65% alcohol.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be.  The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc.  And when using the bathroom.

* You have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks.  The thicker the moisturizer, the better. 

* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

Thanks Joe

I thought this should go into the lounge. jaybass

Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/17/20 12:12 PM
I again follow your instructions but upon opening Word, I was told an update was available which I accepted. At some point during the installation, a notice said there was a problem and would I waiting a few minutes to fix it. After about five minutes, I clicked ok and then continued with the procedure. It worked right away. I can only surmise that the problem all along was a glitch in the software before the update.

As to it being a one page document, that particular one in question was posted by 5577.
There were actually two documents which I never mentioned because the posting problem was the same. However after successfully posting, the article seems to have disappeared from the forum. I did suggest it might belong in the lounge. I cannot find it anywhere.
jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: Word app - 04/17/20 02:03 PM
Isn't your "missing" post the one immediately above your last post, the one that begins

"Interesting reading.

* The virus is not a living organism..."

and ends

"I thought this should go into the lounge. jaybass?"
Posted By: jaybass Re: Word app - 04/17/20 03:32 PM
Yes. I I now know where it is.

jaybass
© FineTunedMac