Home
Posted By: artie505 Importing into iTunes - 10/02/19 07:34 AM
I create an .mp4 using AudioHijack/Fission with either QuickTimePlayer, VLC, or Safari as my source, and when I import it into iTunes it insists on playing through my MBP's internal speakers rather than through my stereo via AirPlay as my other iTunes music does.

Is there any way to overcome that?

It may be important that in iTunes > Get Info > File > kind the files show as "MPEG-4 video file."

Thanks.
Posted By: freelance Re: Importing into iTunes - 10/02/19 08:34 AM
That's pretty weird. I can't figure out how a file could dictate audio output. Get Info might be something to look into, though.

I would Get Info the .mp4 file and see what is selected under "Open with:" Is is different that a file that plays correctly? Change it to whatever does play correctly and see if that works.

What do you have selected in Sound Preferences when the .mp4 file is playing incorrectly? I don't have AirPlay. Does it show up in Sound Preferences as a "device for sound output"?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Importing into iTunes - 10/02/19 09:22 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, but I figured it out...well, stumbled on the answer, to be honest.

If I save my files as .m4a rather than .mp4 they play through AirPlay.

Whew... The upgrade from Audio Hijack Pro v 2 to Audio Hijack v 3 has been ridiculously frustrating!

More: I guess those files being "MPEG-4 video" explains why they wouldn't open in iTunes, which doesn't have a video component, but opened in VLC and QuickTime Player, both of which do.
© FineTunedMac