Home
Posted By: jchuzi Where are Contacts stored? - 12/18/17 12:31 PM
I had to restore from a clone and may have lost some of the data in Contacts. I can restore that from Time Machine, but I don't know where to look. There doesn't seem to be anything in ~/Library about this. Any ideas?
Posted By: Urquhart Re: Where are Contacts stored? - 12/18/17 01:05 PM
It’s multiple files in ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/ , I think.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Where are Contacts stored? - 12/18/17 01:24 PM
I tried that one but it didn't make any difference. BTW, AddressBook is the name that Contacts used to have, many OSs ago.
Posted By: freelance Re: Where are Contacts stored? - 12/18/17 02:47 PM
Do you have your Contacts linked to iCloud?

Sidebar: I had address details in iCloud and also in Google. When I noticed duplicates in Contacts, I started deleting them. Then, I noticed that addresses were deleted from my Android cell phone. I have to have a copy in each source: iCloud and Google, and they show up as duplicates in Contacts. A change in one has to be changed manually or copied across to the other.

I suppose if I had a $1,000 iPhone, the problem would be solved. tongue

Edit: BTW, I've never used Address Book, yet I have a folder in Application Support named Address Book that has a configuration plist with yesterday's date. Maybe Apple changed the name of the application, but not the support files?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Where are Contacts stored? - 12/18/17 03:52 PM
My vCards are stored at /Users/artie/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Metadata (in Sierra).

More: The number at the bottom of the "All Contacts" column should equal the number of vCards in .../Metadata (or at least it does in my instance).
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Where are Contacts stored? - 12/18/17 10:56 PM
As I posted earlier, I restored ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook via Time Machine. Since it included the Metadata folder, I would have expected that that would solve the problem. As it turns out, the only contacts that I was missing were easily restored manually by re-typing the information.

I never actually lost my contacts, but I had to clone back from a clone that was about 2 weeks old. Fortunately, I had not changed much.
© FineTunedMac