Home
Posted By: jaybass Perian download - 08/22/17 10:38 PM
OS 10.12..6

I have been trying to download perian from 4 different sources but I get a notice saying it can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Anyone know of an acceptable developer?

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: Perian download - 08/22/17 11:01 PM
Perian, which was last updated in 2013, can't be opened because its developer hasn't signed it (which in no way makes it an unacceptable app).

There's a workaround, but VLC Media Player (which I think is signed), which is current, might work instead.

Both apps have been around for a long time and are well-reviewed.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Perian download - 08/22/17 11:59 PM
Perian is obsolete and unsupported app, however you may find it is no longer needed with the more recent versions of MacOS. I haven't had it on my machines for years and I have never missed it.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Perian download - 08/23/17 12:19 AM
Thanks for pointing out that Perian is actually obsolete; it's not clear on MacUpdate.

More: I had Perian bookmarked as an alternative to Flip4Mac, not VLC, as I had thought; is VLC similar to the other two?
Posted By: Urquhart Re: Perian download - 08/23/17 10:12 AM
This is a security feature, as Apple thinks most malware will be from developers that do not register at Apple. Since 2012, Gatekeeper can check (new) apps by certificate. It recognises three levels: MAS (Mac App Store = reviewed by Apple), identified developers (registered at Apple for a certificate), and the rest (unknown developers). Initially (Lion) Gatekeeper was off (Allow from anywhere) by default. In Sierra, the “Allow from anywhere“ option is even hidden, to tighten security further and discourage unregistered developers. As Perian is from 2011, before developer certificates linked to Gatekeeper, it will be from an unknown source to Gatekeeper.

You can set your preference in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow apps downloaded from ...
You can always manually override it, if needed, using the contextual menu. Right-click (or Control-click) on an app. Select Open. A slightly modified warning window will pop up, which now has [Open] and [Cancel] instead of [OK]. Click Open to override Gatekeeper. Gatekeeper will remember your consent, and won’t bother you again for this app.
Posted By: jaybass Re: Perian download - 08/23/17 02:58 PM
I also had perian on my mac for years but as I understand it, it was necessary in order for VLC to function.

However, yesterday I purchased Elmedia PLAYER PRO which I have yet to use but will I'm told allow me to download youtube movies and perhaps from other sources too.

Thank you all for your replies.

jaybass
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Perian download - 08/23/17 03:30 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
Perian, which was last updated in 2013, can't be opened because its developer hasn't signed it (which in no way makes it an unacceptable app).

FYI you can call "installer" from terminal to install packages that are untrusted by using the " -allowUntrusted " flag. This seems to bypass gatekeeper entirely.

Posted By: artie505 Re: Perian download - 08/23/17 04:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Originally Posted By: artie505

FYI you can call "installer" from terminal to install packages that are untrusted by using the " -allowUntrusted " flag. This seems to bypass gatekeeper entirely.

Or you can go the whole nine yards, i.e. enable installation of apps downloaded from "Anywhere", with (in Sierra, anyhow)

Code:
sudo spctl --master-disable
Posted By: jaybass Re: Perian download - 08/23/17 04:21 PM
I will take note of what you said but I'm a little wary of terminal.

Thanks.

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: Perian download - 08/23/17 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
I also had perian on my mac for years but as I understand it, it was necessary in order for VLC to function.

VLC has worked just fine for me without Perian for years.

If there is a Perian requirement, it's got to do with viewing some type of media that I"ve never run across.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Perian download - 08/23/17 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
I will take note of what you said but I'm a little wary of terminal.

There are now numerous security features that simply cannot be disabled or bypassed without terminal. SIP being one of the biggest. (csrutil)
© FineTunedMac