Home
Posted By: jaybass mackeeper - 09/28/12 04:58 PM
OS 10.5.8 I've heard some discouraging reports about Mackeeper.

During browsing, I've been asked to download Mackeeper several times.

I saw one endorsement by this forum...did I read that right?

However, is this software okay?

jaybass
Posted By: alternaut Re: mackeeper - 09/28/12 06:25 PM
You asked a similar question about a year ago, and the answer is still the same: better stay clear of MacKeeper.
Posted By: ryck Re: mackeeper - 09/28/12 09:50 PM
Originally Posted By: alternaut
....better stay clear of MacKeeper.

That's for sure.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: mackeeper - 09/28/12 09:57 PM
Jay if you want to see what's behind Ryck's comment check this thread. Be sure and read all the way through to the end of the third page to get the full impact. Napalm has nothing on MacKeeper.
Posted By: jaybass Re: mackeeper - 09/28/12 10:32 PM
I had forgotten about that year old post.
I did read all 3 pages and it is all bad news.
Why are these guys still pushing mackeeper?
jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: mackeeper - 09/28/12 10:49 PM
Your link takes me to a 2, not 3, page thread; am I missing something? (jaybass mentions 3 pages, too.)
Posted By: alternaut Re: mackeeper - 09/28/12 11:24 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
Your link takes me to a 2, not 3, page thread; am I missing something?

You're probably missing the fact that you increased the default number of posts displayed per page in the preferences (under My Stuff). smirk
Posted By: alternaut Re: mackeeper - 09/28/12 11:29 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
Why are these guys still pushing mackeeper?

Presumably because they have enough takers, and are still making money. shocked
Posted By: artie505 Re: mackeeper - 09/29/12 12:17 AM
Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: artie505
Your link takes me to a 2, not 3, page thread; am I missing something?

You're probably missing the fact that you increased the default number of posts displayed per page in the preferences (under My Stuff). smirk

I did, indeed.

Thanks for reminding me that there's a thing called "default" hidden away in some deep, dark corner of my tweaked universe.
Posted By: artie505 Re: mackeeper - 09/29/12 05:37 AM
MacKeeper draws some pretty incredibly bad reviews, but in the middle of them, near the top actually, is Is MacKeeper Really A Scam? | Cult of Mac, which has appended to its more or less glowing review a plethora of "Stay aways," not to mention the fact that the two of the three linked glowing reviews that can, have suffered the same fate.

It's got to leave you wondering about Cult of Mac.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: mackeeper - 09/29/12 01:10 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
I had forgotten about that year old post.

I am not surprised you had forgotten that "…year old post" as it took place THIS year. in fact in the last week or so. You are thinking of yet another thread last year. smile
Posted By: alternaut Re: mackeeper - 09/29/12 05:41 PM
Am I confused or do you seem to confuse two different threads/links? confused That year old thread is one I linked to in post 23555 above, while last week's thread you linked to in post 23561 is a different one about a boot delay issue partly due to MacKeeper remnants.
Posted By: jaybass Re: mackeeper - 09/29/12 08:36 PM
Sorry for the apparent confusion...yourself like me, didn't remember my first post.
No harm done.
jaybass
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: mackeeper - 10/02/12 08:30 PM
Besides being a shade annoying, and taking advantage of people's fear, I've seen many cases of mackeeper getting itself stuck in a behind-the-scenes crash-relaunch loop, usually following an os x update. I usually uninstall it on sight, but it puts me in a bad spot when they've paid for the full version.
© FineTunedMac