Home
Posted By: JoBoy Palm Desktop 4.2.1 and Snow Leopard - 08/30/09 09:36 PM
I can't get this app to Hot Sync my Mac Pro and my Palm Centro. It worked fine under 10.5.8 and earlier.

Does anyone know if there is an update? I can't find anything about it on Palm.com and it isn't mentioned in Apple's list of incompatibles. Also not on www.snowleopard.wikidot.com unless the list has been very recently updated. confused
Posted By: JoBoy Re: Palm Desktop 4.2.1 and Snow Leopard - 08/30/09 11:56 PM
Problem solved. Zapping the PRAM seems to have done the trick. I have no idea why. smile
Posted By: jen Re: Palm Desktop 4.2.1 and Snow Leopard - 09/01/09 08:40 PM
Glad to see you fixed it!

On the update question: both Palm and Apple have abandoned or discontinued their software for PalmOS. This article does a pretty good job of explaining the situation.
Posted By: JoBoy Re: Palm Desktop 4.2.1 and Snow Leopard - 09/02/09 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: jen
Glad to see you fixed it!

On the update question: both Palm and Apple have abandoned or discontinued their software for PalmOS. This article does a pretty good job of explaining the situation.

I read the article. It's strange that, despite the abandonment, Palm Desktop 4.2.1 HotSync is running just fine on Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro using a USB connection to my Palm Centro. However, as soon as the early termination fee goes down, I'm moving to the iPhone.
Posted By: Virtual1 how to really fix your palm sync - 09/02/09 06:20 PM
buy a touch.

really.

I could write a book about the bad and sometimes frightening experiences I've had with my T2 and with 1/2 dozen others with palms asking for my help. I had to reset my touch once and was not one bit worried about it wiping everything in my addressbook. Almost every time I dealt with a sync problem with the palm it was a nail-biting experience, that often resulted in data loss or mass duplication.

Posted By: JoBoy Re: how to really fix your palm sync - 09/02/09 10:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I remember when I had a Palm Pilot and a separate cell phone. I longed for the day when I'd have one device that did it all. I went for the Treo 650 and enjoyed it until I tried to surf the net with it. Ugh! I continued to use it until the contract ran out. Then I switched to the Centro. I've been underwhelmed by it. My son-in-law has an iPhone and he loves it. He's an electrical engineer and software architect so I have a built-in support system. I really don't want to go back to a phone and something else.
Posted By: GrayShades Re: how to really fix your palm sync - 09/03/09 02:20 AM
I have a Centro and works well for me. While I had used the synch flawlessly through 10.5.8, I have not tried it since moving to 10.6 last Friday. I had read about certain problems with Palm Desktop 4.5 (and of course, it requires Rosetta).

I may switch to the Palm Pre in the next few months.
© FineTunedMac