Home
Posted By: desmo Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 02/05/12 02:41 PM
I am running Lion 10.7.2 with Office for Mac 2011 version 14.1.4. Whenever I try to open a docx file created from a windows box the file opens but most of the content is unreadable. It look like it's a compatibility issue or the file has not converted properly. The files are not corrupt as they open on my XP box just fine.

I thought that this version of office would open docx without any helper apps or converters. This issue has happened with several documents, not just one. Not sure if it matters but I previously had Office 2004 on the Mac prior to upgrading to 2011.

Any advice you could provide or things to try would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: grelber Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 02/05/12 02:55 PM
You didn't mention whether you've enabled Compatibility Mode. It's normally operational on any docs coming from a previous version (and, I would presume, other platform).
If not, go to Word 2011's Preferences and set things up the way you'd like them.
Also check the document's Info (⌘-i) to make sure that Word is in fact the application which is opening it.
You could also try opening the doc in Text Edit.
See if any of that helps.
Posted By: desmo Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 02/05/12 04:15 PM
I didn't think compatibility mode was enable/disable option. I have been in the preferences and reviewed the compatibility options and even set them back to default for Word 2011.

The issue occurs whether I double click on it or open it from within Word. Word is definitely the app that is opening the doc.

In playing around with it I have also noticed that some pptx exhibit the same behavior but not all. In addition, in the preview (such as when looking at the doc's info ⌘-i) pane, the document looks just as it should however when it is fully opened within Word there is no text (same as described above). Weird...

Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: grelber Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 02/06/12 06:54 AM
You might want to check to see if TextEdit gives you the same outcome.

Also try setting the Recommended Options under Preferences in Compatibility to the version of Word used to create the document in question (if you know) ... to see if that makes a difference.
Posted By: impiana Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 02/20/12 06:42 PM
We are having exactly the same problem. We think it began happening after a recent Word for Mac 2011 software update. The basic problem is that .docx files are opened as blank documents, or in compatibility mode, even though we have checked the correct box in Compatibility under Preferences. Has anyone found a solution yet?
Posted By: grelber Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 02/20/12 10:48 PM
Very strange. I updated my Office for Mac 2011 to version 14.1.4 in December when it became available. And while I generally create Word docs in RTF format (since it saves huge amounts in doc size), I am able to open .docx docs in Word without issue.

On the other hand, when I used Word 98 up until recently (and 95% of my saved docs are in that format), whenever I'd get a doc with the .docx extension, I had to have the originator resend in plain .doc or .rtf format in order not to get a blank doc.

So there may be something going on here which is similar.

According Word Help:
Some new features in Word can cause a document to look different when it is viewed by using an earlier version of Word. In some cases, part of a document that is created by using new features can't be edited in an earlier version of Word. Compatibility mode turns off new features in Word 2011 that can cause incompatibility with earlier versions. If you share a document with someone who uses an earlier version of Word, consider using compatibility mode. To use compatibility mode, you can either open a document that has a .doc file name extension or save a document in the Word 97-2004 Document (.doc) format.

And recheck your compatibility options (in Word Preferences).
Posted By: bboru Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 03/07/12 01:05 PM
I am having the same problem as desmo and ismiana. I have a new Mac with OS 10.7.3 and Microsoft Office for Mac 2011, version 14.1.4. It occurs when I try to open almost any .doc or .ppt document created on a PC at work. I'm not sure of those versions, but it may be from older versions of Windows/Office, since 1-2 year old PowerPoint docs that used to open fine no longer do. They are completely unreadable, with only a few thin horizontal lines appear across the page. Did any of you figure out how to fix this?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 03/07/12 01:31 PM
Try opening the documents using Neooffice. I sometimes find it does a better job handling MS Office files from Windows than MS Office for Mac does. After all .docx and .pptx are nothing more than Microsoft's bastardization of the Open Document standard that is Neooffice's / Openoffice's native format. Apple's Pages is good with .docx files too, but Neooffice is free and Pages is not.
Posted By: desmo Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 07/02/12 07:56 PM
Update to this issue. I just purchased a MacBook Pro laptop (w/Lion) for my daughter. I installed Office 2011 and it works fine with no problems. The files (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) that do not open correctly on my iMac open as they should on her MacBook Pro.

So it appears it is something to do with my iMac which originally shipped with Snow Leopard (I have since upgraded to Lion). This iMac also had Office 2004 on it prior to me putting Office 2011 on. So there must be some issue with either the old OS (I doubt it) or having 2004 on it prior (most likely). I did migrate my data from an old iMac to the new one when we purchased it in 2009. I was short on time and used the migration assistant though I have always been reluctant to do this. I would rather bring the data over myself to the new environment. I guess this may be my lesson for being lazy.

I researched how to completely remove Office 2011 (library files, prefs, etc.) not just throw the app in the trash. So I went through all the steps and completely removed Office 2011, rebooted and made sure everything was gone. I then re-installed Office 2011. This still did not work, so there must be something from a previous install that is conflicting with Office 2011. BTW if I create a new doc, there are no issues, in addition, this doesn't affect all docs or even just docx docs (xls, xlsx is affected as well). It seems to affect docs and spreadsheets that have more than just basic formatting.

I am to the point where I will try to do a fresh install of Lion on my iMac. I will back up my docs, tunes, picts, etc. to an external drive and just wipe the iMac. I will then install Lion any associated updates and then Office 2011. If this doesn't work then could it be a firmware issue (I seriously doubt it) but not sure what I would try next. BTW my iMac was purchased in 2009.

I will post my results.

Posted By: jchuzi Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 07/02/12 08:27 PM
I can't speak for Office 2011, but my Office 2008 installation may be of some help. Located in /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office, there is a Remove Office.app. Check out your installation to see if you have something similar.
Posted By: desmo Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 07/02/12 08:35 PM
I will look when I get home, I hope I have something similar. Not looking forward to reloading everything that's for sure.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 07/02/12 08:39 PM
Musings…

How are you moving/getting the MS files from your office PC to your Mac?

Perhaps the issue lies somewhere in the transportation/email chain.

So perhaps worth a try…

Zip or compress your files while on the PC, and then send or copy the zipped files to your Mac. Any better?

Also, you might try using a different font when the file is first created to something like Times, just to ensure the problem is not font related.

And finally, on your Mac, manually change the file extension from .docx to (just) doc. Any joy?
Posted By: desmo Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 07/03/12 02:25 AM
Jump drive, email and via network is how I transferred the files. The "suspect" files are on the jump drive now. When I insert said jump drive into my daughter's MacBook voila! it works as it should. When I insert said jump drive into my iMac, no bueno frown

I would suspect that if it was a file corruption issue due to the transport medium it would affect performance on both platforms but alas, it does not.

I had tried the .docx to .doc prior hoping that was it but not joy.

However, the font suggestion was a fantastic idea. I just tried it and that did in fact fix the the issue in Word and Excel. It appears that whatever font was chosen in the original documents did not display correctly until I changed them. You my friend are a genius, at least to me at this point grin

I will continue to work on the ppt issue, surely it must be font/format related as well.

Thanks!
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 07/03/12 09:58 AM
Desmo,

Glad to hear that you're enjoying a bit of success. Singing my praises is not necessary, but it can't hurt. wink

With regard to your ppt issues. What are they exactly?

Because ppt has so many transitions, effects, etc., that may be compounding the issue, try this:

Create a new 1 page ppt with nothing on it but one word. Make this as vanilla as you can. Does that work?

Posted By: joemikeb Re: Word 2011 Issue Opening docx file - 07/03/12 11:42 AM
On your iMac launch FontBook, Select all the fonts, then on the menu bar go to File > Validate Fonts to be sure you do not have a corrupted font file. Then on the Edit menu run "Look for Enabled Duplicates" and where there are duplicates deactivate the duplicates. Generally that will clear up most font problems.
© FineTunedMac