Home
Posted By: artie505 Growl or the like? - 12/21/11 07:30 AM
eBay's customer chat line has become a nightmare since it was cut back from 24 hours; if you catch it at the wrong time it leaves you on hold interminably, sooo...

Is anybody aware of an app, Growl or the like, that can keep tabs on the eBay dialog box and notify me when a representative "picks up?"

Thanks.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Growl or the like? - 12/22/11 08:32 PM
I don't use it but maybe this will help - does it make a noise when they pick up or chat? can you turn up the volume? I have to do that with some of the chats I use here because hold for rep times can be over an hour
Posted By: artie505 Re: Growl or the like? - 12/23/11 06:08 AM
Wow! It's been sooo long that I'm not certain, but I don't remember any alert sounds...just a screen prompt; I'll have to take a look.

Thanks.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Growl or the like? - 12/23/11 10:51 AM
Artie,

If you're using Growl 1.3.2, to enable a sound alert--

Launch Growl, Applications Pane, highlight the eBay app, select Configure (at the bottom of the window), then click on the Notifications Tab, and there you will find a drop down menu to play notification sounds.

At least I think that is how it would be done, presuming there is an eBay hook to Growl. Alas, I know nada about eBay.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Growl or the like? - 12/23/11 06:38 PM
Thanks for that, Harv; now I know how to proceed if eBay plays a notification sound, which, I fear, is not the case.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Growl or the like? - 12/28/11 05:59 PM
now what we need is a good GROWL sound effect

I tend to have a lot of things like that around here, but a nice evil long low dog growl isn't among them... you know, one of those that would make an adult back away from a closed door.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Growl or the like? - 12/31/11 05:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
now what we need is a good GROWL sound effect

I tend to have a lot of things like that around here, but a nice evil long low dog growl isn't among them... you know, one of those that would make an adult back away from a closed door.

I've been looking for a sound clip of someone whistling "Dixie" to unburden my deuced Mac(hina) of the stigma of doing everything but whistling ''Dixie.''

I'd really love for it to replace the Apple startup chime, but since nobody's ever located the danged thing, I don't think that will ever happen.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Growl or the like? - 12/31/11 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
I'd really love for it to replace the Apple startup chime, but since nobody's ever located the danged thing, I don't think that will ever happen.

I believe the chime is firmware based. Hack away... laugh
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Growl or the like? - 01/09/12 10:49 PM
I miss my customized boot logo. I had Snitch from Lilo and Snitch. Now it's just a boring grey apple... frown
© FineTunedMac