Home
Posted By: doll How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 08:29 AM
Hi,guys.Is there any one tell me how to convert PDF to word on Mac?
I am a teacher from New York.Recently I have a download some PDF file need to transfer to word as material for my working.As I use Mac OS has been doubly difficult for me,beacuse I am not familiar with mac system.
So any idea helpfully would be appreciated.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 09:43 AM
You'll find several relevant links at this Google search page.
Posted By: Ira L Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 04:03 PM
While I have not checked every link Artie provided in his comment above, I believe you will find that most, if not all, are not free. That is, you would need to purchase software to make the conversion.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 04:37 PM
Here is a work-a-round (maybe?):

I do not use WORD, but if WORD can open a "txt" document, a FREE program called CALIBRE will convert PDF files to TXT.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx

Posted By: roger Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 06:49 PM
if you have gmail account and google docs, you can upload the pdf and google docs will convert it to a text file which you could then download and open in Word.
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 07:34 PM
Very good suggestion. A good old copy and paste also works, except that the format will be gone.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 08:16 PM
True.

However, some PDFs are "locked" so that one cannot copy the text - although a SCREENSHOT could be taken of each page.

(Similarly, CALIBRE may not be able to convert some PDFs . . . but I have yet to encounter a PDF I could not convert to TXT in CALIBRE.)
Posted By: Pendragon Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 08:21 PM
A great tip, Roger.

I just gave it go and voilà. A small pagination error and an embedded graphic was not incorporated (which I could manually insert in the final Word document), but text wise, just perfect.

Thanks!

Posted By: jchuzi Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 08:34 PM
A possible workaround to a locked PDF is to invoke the Print dialog box (File>Print) but save it as a PDF instead of printing. The new PDF may be unlocked. I don't have a locked PDF to try this with, but it might work.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Ira L
While I have not checked every link Artie provided in his comment above, I believe you will find that most, if not all, are not free. That is, you would need to purchase software to make the conversion.
I'm flattered that you mistook me for Artie but he may not be so pleased. shocked
Posted By: artie505 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/09/11 10:33 PM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Originally Posted By: Ira L
I'm flattered that you mistook me for Artie but he may not be so pleased. shocked

I'm flattered both that you're flattered and that Ira gave you the opportunity to flatter me. confused
Posted By: Ira L Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/10/11 04:26 PM
Mea culpa. crazy

Posted By: macnerd10 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/10/11 05:14 PM
The remedy to protected (not locked) PDF files is fairly cheap. It is called PDFprotect from Sybrex. Never failed me.
Posted By: roger Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/10/11 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Pendragon
A great tip, Roger.

I just gave it go and voilà. A small pagination error and an embedded graphic was not incorporated (which I could manually insert in the final Word document), but text wise, just perfect.

Thanks!

awesome!! glad it worked! I am a big fan of Google docs and am only learning all that can be done. laugh
Posted By: alternaut Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/11/11 11:05 PM
Coincidence? I don't know, but here is yet another take on the topic: How to convert PDFs to Word (and other formats)
Posted By: artie505 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/12/11 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: alternaut
Coincidence? I don't know, but here is yet another take on the topic: How to convert PDFs to Word (and other formats)

cool    I like that one; thanks. (Maybe my first venture into Automator?)   
Posted By: MG2009 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/13/11 06:39 PM
Tried JCHUZI's work-a-round with a LOCKED pdf.

1. opened a "locked" PDF with ADOBE READER;

2. selected EDIT / SAVE AS . . .

3. chose txt, pdf, or word online to convert the file.

Note: When converted to TXT, the new file was unlocked and its content could be edited.

However, when converted (copied) as a PDF, the PDF stayed locked like the original and could not be edited.

P.S. I did not try the WORD conversion as that online service requires a paid subscription fee.

** using MBPro with LION and ADOBE READER
Posted By: jchuzi Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/13/11 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: MG2009
2. selected EDIT / SAVE AS . .
You misunderstood. I meant that you should attempt to print the PDF but don't actually print it. Instead, click the PDF button in the print dialog box and select Save As PDF. I don't know if this will work differently from what you did but it's worth trying. You have nothing to lose.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/13/11 08:13 PM
Sorry . . . I understood you correctly, but Adobe Reader 10.1.1 does NOT give me the option you mentioned when hitting the PRINT button. (Consequently, this is what prompted me to check out the drop down menu under EDIT.)
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/13/11 08:24 PM
Jon is right. When in the Reader print dialog box, click on "printer" and the option "pdf" will be there. Click on it and select save as pdf.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/13/11 09:08 PM
Using 10.1.1 with exactly the procedures you (both) mentioned, I get the following pop-up message from ADOBE:

Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save.

Thus . . . I went to Plan B, as described in my 1:39 posting.

grin
Posted By: alternaut Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/13/11 09:36 PM
The inability to save a PDF as PDF via the print dialog doesn't just apply to Reader 10.x, but to preceding versions as well.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/13/11 09:45 PM
Thank you for the clarification. smile
Posted By: jchuzi Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/13/11 09:52 PM
Open the PDF in Preview instead of Adobe Reader. That option is available in Preview's Print dialog box.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/13/11 09:58 PM
Yes, PREVIEW is not the same as ADOBE (hehehe).

I went through the steps and the "new" PDF copy is also 'locked' like the original (i.e. not able to edit the "new" document with either PREVIEW or ADOBE. Not sure if WORD - as raised in the poster's original question - will open the "new" PDF . . . and allow editing).
Posted By: jchuzi Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/13/11 10:03 PM
If you don't mind spending some money, PDFpen or PDFpenPro might work for you.
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/14/11 01:49 AM
PDFprotect is only 30 dollars (from half to one-third)...
Posted By: roger Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/14/11 07:47 PM
Interesting that the OP hasn't returned, and in re-reading the original post, I sure hope "doll" isn't a teacher in NY with that spelling and grammar...

tongue
Posted By: MG2009 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/14/11 07:52 PM
Very astute observation, Columbo.
laugh

Everybody BUT "doll" has responded to the subject.
Posted By: artie505 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 10/14/11 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: roger
Interesting that the OP hasn't returned, and in re-reading the original post, I sure hope "doll" isn't a teacher in NY with that spelling and grammar...

tongue

That was my immediate impression when I read the original post (but I took the high-road and eventually forgot about it)...scary! (I wonder what kind of teacher? Edit: I hope not a teacher at all!)

At any rate...not the first rude poster with whom we've had the pleasure to deal.
Posted By: Yocihope Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 03/27/12 02:17 AM
There’s a easy and free way, just go to docs.google.com, click the upload button to upload your pdf file. Remember to check the option "Convert text from PDF or image files to Google Docs documents " before you click the “start upload” button. After the upload is done you can find the converted file on your Google Docs, now copy the texts to an empty word file, done! With this method you can also convert pdf to ppt if you copy the converted tsts to your empty ppt file.
Or you can simply use a converter which will save you a lot of time and trouble. To find out how to convert pdf to word on mac you can also go to adobe’s website.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: How to convert PDF to word on Mac? - 04/06/12 05:08 PM
" . . . To find out how to convert pdf to word on mac you can also go to adobe’s website."

Caution:

As noted in earlier responses above (#18289), some versions of ADOBE do not support the PDF file conversions to WORD.
© FineTunedMac