Home
Posted By: dianne Converting AppleWorks for Mac OS X 10.7 - 07/10/11 08:47 PM
While this Macworld article, Last call for AppleWorks users, covers word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, painting, and drawing files in AppleWorks 6 * *, I have not been able to find much information on how to export or convert AppleWorks Clippings.

Might anyone have suggestions beyond the tedious task of dragging and dropping each clipping into an AppleWorks document and using Get Info -> Open with to set the application to Pages?

* * Special Note: AppleWorks 5 word processing and spreadsheet files cannot be opened by Pages or Numbers. It is necessary to open them and use Save As to convert to them to AppleWorks 6.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Converting AppleWorks for Mac OS X 10.7 - 07/14/11 03:38 PM
automator or maclink pro would be my first investigations
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Converting AppleWorks for Mac OS X 10.7 - 07/15/11 11:51 AM
Where would you go to find a current copy of Maclink Plus? Dataviz no longer catalogs it and the MacLInkPro.com link goes to Snipr Blaster. The other links kGoogle finds are from the 90's.
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Where would you go to find a current copy of Maclink Plus? Dataviz no longer catalogs it and the MacLInkPro.com link goes to Snipr Blaster. The other links kGoogle finds are from the 90's.

I have MacLink Plus 14. According to the Manual, it translates AppleWorks5.0 (Read & Write) and AppleWorks 6.0 (Read Only). How much good that will do, I dunno, but I am glad to send it along if you desire.
Posted By: Ira L Re: Converting AppleWorks for Mac OS X 10.7 - 07/15/11 04:28 PM
Also MacLink Plus Deluxe requires Rosetta.
Originally Posted By: dianne
Might anyone have suggestions beyond the tedious task of dragging and dropping each clipping into an AppleWorks document and using Get Info -> Open with to set the application to Pages?

As your query focuses on an onerously repetitive task, I suspect the Automator (or scripting) route Virtual1 suggested might be more immediately worthwhile looking into than conversion options that most likely won't directly (if at all) affect your Clippings repository. (You don't mention whether you intend to deal with all or part of your Clippings repository specifically or with documents containing clippings, but I suspect the former.)

Since there doesn't seem to be an export option for clippings, and it isn't clear which app other than AW can open them (e.g., neither GraphicsConverter or Illustrator works), one way of preserving them is to collect them in appropriate AW documents (word proc., spreadsheet, database, image etc.) and convert those. It may be possible to combine clippings classes in a single file, but the ability to manipulate them separately depends on the app you're eventually going to open these files with. Whichever approach is selected, this collection stage would benefit greatly with automation.

One thing to be careful about, however, is that changes to the resolution or editability of the clippings by the receiving/converting app are possible, and these changes are best assessed before final conversion if further editing is required.
Pages v4.1 opens Appleworks word processing documents and Numbers v2.1 opens Appleworks spreadsheets. Try it.
© FineTunedMac