Home
Posted By: bigal PDF Editor for Mac? - 08/12/09 07:06 PM
Need to find a good editor - annotator - whatever for the Mac OS.

I have the need to be able to take a PDF (usually a screenshot) and highlite/outline areas of the screen, add arrows pointing to specific areas, and add instructions/notes.

Then be able to save this back to a PDF file readable on any platform (mac/windoze).

I have looked all over and can't find anything suitable.

Any suggestions.

Al
Posted By: PChaterosx Re: PDF Editor for Mac? - 08/12/09 07:11 PM
When my Mac worked, i used Photoshop.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: PDF Editor for Mac? - 08/12/09 09:23 PM
Have you tried Adobe Acrobat Pro? Realize your PDF screenshot is a graphic image equivalent to a jpeg or gif file and will require running the image through an OCR package to convert the PDF to text form. Acrobat Pro contains a good OCR component.
Posted By: donikatz Re: PDF Editor for Mac? - 08/13/09 02:52 AM
Since Acrobat is very expensive, another more budget solution might be to not work with PDF screenshots. You can always change the default screenshot format and use any simple image editor (http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X).

If that's not an option, for some PDF annotating (as you've described), you might want to try out the free Skim or the $50 PDFpen. If you don't want to edit the PDF per se as much as draw on it, you might also want to check out the powerful $35 GraphicConverter or the free Inkscape. Lastly, 10.5's Preview app can highlight and annotate PDFs, but I don't think it can do arrows or the like.
© FineTunedMac