Home
Posted By: JoBoy Windows 7 and 32 or 64 bit version? - 11/14/09 04:59 AM
I've just installed VMware Fusion 3 on my Mac Pro. A package containing Windows 7 is in front of me. There are two discs--"32-bit-software" and "64-bit-software." The only guidance I can find in the Windows 7 booklet says, "If your PC is currently running a 64-bit version of Windows, use the 64-bit disc." This is not helpful. I intend to install some 32-bit Windows applications as well as some 64-bit Windows applications.

Question: Can 32-bit Windows apps run on the 64-bit Windows 7 OS?
Posted By: JoBoy Re: Windows 7 and 32 or 64 bit version? - 11/14/09 05:26 AM
I found a page on Microsoft's web site called the Windows 7 Compatibility Center. See
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Answers there imply that many 32-bit Windows applications are 64-bit compatible with Windows 7.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Windows 7 and 32 or 64 bit version? - 11/14/09 10:59 PM
The question is whether or not VMFusion will support the 64 bit version of Windows. The just released Parallels Desktop 5 does not and I suspect the same is true of VMFusion. Check with VMWare before proceeding.
Posted By: JoBoy Re: Windows 7 and 32 or 64 bit version? - 11/14/09 11:54 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate your concern. Page 19 of the VMware Fusion 3 instructions states: "Supported 64-bit Guest Operating Systems: ... Windows 7 Ultimate..." That's my version. I am, however, having difficulty installing Windows 7 using VMware's "Windows Easy Install" feature. Part of it is my lack of familiarity with their jargon. However, there is quite a chorus on their community forum that Fusion 3 is a poor performer. Company reps want them to file support requests to see if they can help, but I'm getting a bit disenchanted just reading the stuff. I'll try again to install, but if I'm again unsuccessful, I'm sending back our two copies for a refund. Since I have two copies of Windows 7 Ultimate, I may try it on Boot Camp, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's just say it hasn't been a good day so far.
Posted By: David Re: Windows 7 and 32 or 64 bit version? - 11/15/09 05:24 PM
32 bit applications (say, MS Office 2003) run just fine under 64-bit Windows 7. Some need to run in a compatibility mode (the same as with Vista, as Win7 is built upon Vista's foundation).

I installed the 64-bit (enterprise edition) of Win7 under Parallels 4, and recently upgraded to Parallels 5. The 64-bit Win7 VM works just fine there as well.

The Windows world has the same confusion as the Mac world regarding 64-bitness. The biggest difference lies with device drivers. 64-bit Win7 REQUIRES 64-bit drivers for hardware. It transparently runs both 32-bit and 64-bit applications without problems, as long as they do not depend on specific hardware (e.g., printers or audio cards) drivers.
© FineTunedMac