Home
Posted By: sandbox cross platform anti virus software question - 08/27/09 01:10 AM
This may not belong under this index but it does relate to cross platform issues.

I use Sophos anti virus software and it has worked well in Panther. It does seem to lag behind in OS updates so i was curious about MacScan software. I noticed that Tacit had linked them on the front page and I was wondering if they have a cross platform element... if one runs Windows inside their mac? Sophos serve both platforms so I was comparing notes for a possible change in anti virus software.
Until I find a real threat to macs I won't buy an anti-virus for a mac. I will uses ClamAVX to protect windows users from my transmission of possible infections, and I run Avast! on my Boot Camp installation.
As far as that goes ClamAV is available on Windows too. And like ClamX AV it is free.
Anti Virus software is a contractual requirement for some of us whether we use a Mac or not. cool
Just a note. As of right now, ClamAVX does not run under Snow Leopard.
Is that the old java based version or the new version 2.0.1 written entirely in objective C that was released August 29?
I've tried the Object C version and it didn't open.
I have ClamX AV 2.0.1 running happily on three Macs all running Snow Leopard so the problem is not a SL incompatibility but something else.

However, when I went to the ClamX AV 2.0 beta download site I found the following:
Originally Posted By: Clam X AV Developer
Sometimes, ClamXav will crash when you attempt to launch it. It's an intermittent problem and I would have preferred to hold off until I could fix it, but Apple have somewhat twisted my arm by releasing Snow Leopard ahead of their publicised schedule.
You can count me as a test crash dummy. wink

I have Sophos so I'm not concerned but I have used ClamX in the past.

© FineTunedMac