Home
Posted By: grelber Mac OS 9 - mouse misbehavior - 06/17/11 10:00 AM
I've been having a major problem with the mouse/cursor not responding almost exactly when the system finishes starting up. Sometimes (like now) I can get it to respond for a fair amount of time before it freezes. I've tried restarting (restarting with extensions off, resetting, zapping the PRAM, etc), restarting from the install disc, and so on, and in each case just as the start-up finishes, the cursor freezes and nothing which depends on it works. I don't know where to look (when I can access a working system) to fix the problem.
Cursor-related functions (eg, highlighting text in Word) are also wonky.
Help!

And if I want to install an upgrade (to say 9.2, which I have on CD disc), how do I do it without losing everything that's installed in my current OS 9.0.4?

On a slightly different note (related to a post in the Lounge): If I get a new iMac, how do I transfer browser bookmarks and other such stuff from one system to another? Cabling? I haven't a clue.
Posted By: cyn Re: Mac OS 9 - mouse misbehavior - 06/17/11 10:30 AM
My first thought on the misbehavior is to try another mouse.

Your other two questions would be better placed in separate threads.
Posted By: grelber Re: Mac OS 9 - mouse misbehavior - 06/17/11 10:49 AM
Merci. However, when the mouse works (such as now), everything is fine. So the electronics and tracking ball bits of the physical creature don't seem to be compromised.
I'm going to try restarting (even though things seem to have settled down) and see where that takes me. I only hope I don't have to go through the agony of my several hours of attempted troubleshooting last night.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: Mac OS 9 - mouse misbehavior - 06/17/11 11:02 AM

Still might be worth trying another mouse. As I recall, when my Apple Optical mouse went bad, it exhibited symptoms not unlike those you describe. The problem was in the connection between the cord and the mouse, not in the mouse innards, and was in fact a widely reported issue back then. I specifically remember the sense that the symptoms seemed not random, but related to specific screen contexts; nonetheless, a new mouse banished them forthwith.
Posted By: grelber Re: Mac OS 9 - mouse misbehavior - 06/17/11 11:20 AM
Finding a hockey-puck USB mouse for a 10-year-old iMac DVSE doesn't seem like it's in the cards.
Having said that, I rebooted my iMac after re-establishing my RAM Disk (which of course disappeared when I zapped the PRAM). So far things seem to work, including the highlighting in Word. I'm knocking on wood (albeit it veneer).
Posted By: grelber Re: Mac OS 9 - mouse misbehavior - 06/18/11 08:00 PM
Well, knocking on wood didn't solve the problem.
So I got a Kensington mouse and so far that seems to have done the trick.
Thanks again dk and cyn.
© FineTunedMac