Home
Posted By: Pendragon Can a PC open Mac created DMGs? - 02/22/10 04:18 PM
Were I create a DMG using my Mac/ Disk Utilities and then send it to a PC user, will he be open to open it? Does it make a difference whether the DMG is encrypted or not, e.g., other than requiring a PW?
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Can a PC open Mac created DMGs? - 02/22/10 08:47 PM
Not without 3rd party software.
Google

Also, Windows users tend to have trouble with the disk image concept since it's not very prevalent there unless the user has experience doing a lot of disc burning and are familiar with .iso files.

If they have cd/dvd burner software, you stand a better chance with a disk image made from toast. The .toast extension can be renamed .iso and it will work fine in many windows burning software. Note that they still may not be able to just mount it and go if that' what you want. See aforementioned Google search with 3rd party software in it that can allow the disk image mounting instead of just burning.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Can a PC open Mac created DMGs? - 02/22/10 11:36 PM
Perhaps a bit of background is called for—

I use DropBox, not for sharing data per-se, but because DB gives me 3GB of free, off-site storage space.

While I maintain several rotating backups, I have no off-site storage. Thus, were I to have a home fire, my tears would be most bitter.

I am concerned that sooner or later, the server upon which DropBox is resident, will be hacked and the private/sensitive data I have there will be compromised.

And so I decided to encrypt my data prior to uploading it to DB. Now, all I need do is access DB from any Mac with an Internet connection, DL my encrypted data, enter my PW, and voilà.

I just wanted to know what would happen were I to access my DropBox DMG folders from a PC.

And now I know. Many thanks Kevin!
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Can a PC open Mac created DMGs? - 02/23/10 10:37 PM
probably the simplest way to send something packaged up for a windows user is to control click on the folder and do a compress, to make a zip file. most windows users can unzip stuff.
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Can a PC open Mac created DMGs? - 02/24/10 01:47 AM
He's not trying to send something to a windows user. He was just using an offsite backup and was wondering how easy it would be for a windows user to just open the dmg file.... at least that's how I take it.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Can a PC open Mac created DMGs? - 02/24/10 12:50 PM
Kevin,

You've captured my thoughts.

I know that if I'm at a Mac somewhere, I can go to my on-line Dropbox and DL my encrypted DMG, enter my PW and voilà.

I was just wondering if I'm at a PC somewhere, can I also DL and open the DMG just as I can with a Mac.

From my readings (Google findings), I have concluded that while PCs can't normally open DMGs, there are third party programs for PCs that allow this.

But are my conclusions correct?
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Can a PC open Mac created DMGs? - 02/24/10 03:05 PM
Yes, your conclusions are correct at far as I know.
© FineTunedMac