Home
Posted By: plantsower Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/04/21 07:06 PM
I looked and couldn't find the d/l link for Safari Technology Preview for Catalina that I was given here previously. I want to add it to my older Mac. Anybody know where I can find it?

Thanks.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/05/21 01:02 PM
https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/
Posted By: plantsower Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/05/21 04:38 PM
Hi Joe: I found that link myself but it doesn't include Catalina.

Posted By: joemikeb Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/05/21 05:12 PM
How about this link

The search argument I used is
Code
Catalina safari technology preview
and the search engine DuckDuckGo.com
Posted By: plantsower Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/05/21 07:07 PM
Nope. It leads to the same page as before. frown
Posted By: plantsower Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/05/21 07:27 PM
I found this link from an older Artie post but when I looked at it it's only 77 mb when the original STP for Catalina was 312 mb. Would it be the same thing? Why would it be less mbs?

STP catalina from MacUpdate

Originally Posted by joemikeb
How about this link

Code
Posted By: plantsower Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/05/21 07:39 PM
I went back to MacUpdate and the link for Catalina was 77mb but they also had a link for 103 mb. I guess I will use that one. :confused:

How about this link

Code
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/05/21 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by plantsower
I found this link from an older Artie post but when I looked at it it's only 77 mb when the original STP for Catalina was 312 mb. Would it be the same thing? Why would it be less mbs?

• I have a personal prejudice against downloading anything from a software aggregator such as MacUpdate. I know Artie and others use them all the time, but I also know that it is possible to get more than you bargained for. Therfore, if at all possible I get my downloads either from the developer's web site or the App Store.
  • The currently supported version of Safari Technology Preview is Release 134 (Safari 15.4, WebKit 17613.1.6.1)
  • I downloaded the MacUpdate version from the link you provided, and it turned out to be a 103.3 MB compressed disk Image installer file while STP Release 134 for Monterey directly from Apple is 111.3 MB. I don't know where you got either the 77 MB or 312 MB download sizes but one looks suspiciously low and the very suspiciously high.
  • From the release notes, it appears Apple has withdrawn STP for Catalina and folded any changes into Safari in Apple Security Release 2021-007 Catalina
Posted By: plantsower Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/05/21 09:45 PM
Yes, I can't find it anywhere but MacUpdate, and I am downloading it now. I have had that exact one with all the megabytes in my newer Mac for awhile now and no real problems that I can detect. Thanks for your help.

• I have a personal prejudice against downloading anything from a software aggregator such as MacUpdate. I know Artie and others use them all the time, but I also know that it is possible to get more than you bargained for. Therfore, if at all possible I get my downloads either from the developer's web site or the App Store.
  • The currently supported version of Safari Technology Preview is Release 134 (Safari 15.4, WebKit 17613.1.6.1)
  • I downloaded the MacUpdate version from the link you provided, and it turned out to be a 103.3 MB compressed disk Image installer file while STP Release 134 for Monterey directly from Apple is 111.3 MB. I don't know where you got either the 77 MB or 312 MB download sizes but one looks suspiciously low and the very suspiciously high.
  • From the release notes, it appears Apple has withdrawn STP for Catalina and folded any changes into Safari in Apple Security Release 2021-007 Catalina
Posted By: artie505 Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/06/21 12:43 AM
I have a personal prejudice against downloading anything from a software aggregator such as MacUpdate. I know Artie and others use them all the time, but I also know that it is possible to get more than you bargained for. Therfore, if at all possible I get my downloads either from the developer's web site or the App Store.
Update: Since MacUpdate began offering to either run safety scans on d/l's or allow them to precede unscanned I've taken to clicking through to developers' websites and d/l'ing directly from there rather than agonizing over a decision to exercise either option. It's faster than the former and at least as safe if not safer than the latter, and it doesn't make the process recognizably longer.

I will say, however, that in close to 20 years of d/l'ing from MU I never once ran into a problem with any app I d/l'ed from there.

I still prefer to link to MU for FTM purposes, though, because the comments often provide perspective that can't be gotten from dev's websites.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/06/21 02:43 AM
I downloaded the STP for Catalina on MacJUpdate and when it was done it said I needed Mac OS 11.0 (Big Sur) to open it. That doesn't make any sense since I only have Catalina on my other Mac and it opened just fine. I removed the original dmg from my other Mac or I would have attempted to AirDrop it onto my old Mac and go from there.

Posted By: artie505 Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/06/21 04:40 AM
I downloaded the STP for Catalina on MacJUpdate and when it was done it said I needed Mac OS 11.0 (Big Sur) to open it.
I just d/l'ed STP via this link at Download Safari Technology Preview for Mac | MacUpdate, and while I didn't complete the installation, I got to the last step with no problems in Catalina 10.15.7. (The d/l'ed .dmg is 84.7 MB.)
Posted By: plantsower Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/06/21 08:01 PM
Hi Artie: When I went to look at the imgur pic, I didn't see the same page as it shows there with a list of a lot of blue links. I couldn't see the url very well and when I tried to enlarge it, the screen went gray. I rechecked on the link you gave me and copied the url from the Ingur pic,(using a magnifying glass) and only came up with this page which is for 11.0. Imgur Link to MacUpdate which is the same as your second link in your post. I hope that all makes sense but I couldn't get to the page you show in Imgur. I think I saw that page yesterday, but it was only 77mb so I skipped it and went for the larger one which ended up for big Sur. I will try to find that page again and click on that top link like you did and see what happens.

Originally Posted by artie505
I downloaded the STP for Catalina on MacJUpdate and when it was done it said I needed Mac OS 11.0 (Big Sur) to open it.
I just d/l'ed STP via this link at Download Safari Technology Preview for Mac | MacUpdate, and while I didn't complete the installation, I got to the last step with no problems in Catalina 10.15.7. (The d/l'ed .dmg is 84.7 MB.)
Posted By: plantsower Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/06/21 08:07 PM
OK, I found that page you showed me and will try it. It is the one that is only 77 mb but we will see what happens. I know Joe is leary of the small size. I am going to airdrop it to my other mac and d/l and see what happens. Thanks.

Posted By: plantsower Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/06/21 08:26 PM
Well, for some reason it won't Airdrop like yesterday. When I look at MacUpdate it won't show the 77 mb one now either. I give up.

OK, I found that page you showed me and will try it. It is the one that is only 77 mb but we will see what happens. I know Joe is leary of the small size. I am going to airdrop it to my other mac and d/l and see what happens. Thanks.

Posted By: artie505 Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/06/21 08:42 PM
Click on my second, i.e. "Download...," link, expand "What's new...," and click on the top item, i.e. "Safari Technology Preview for macOS Catalina."
Posted By: plantsower Re: Download link Safari Tech Prev - 11/06/21 08:55 PM
OK! That worked. Downloading now. What a confusing mess. Thanks so much.

Click on my second, i.e. "Download...," link, expand "What's new...," and click on the top item, i.e. "Safari Technology Preview for macOS Catalina."
© FineTunedMac