Home
Posted By: MG2009 Keyboard and Bluetooth Connections - 09/09/21 06:43 PM
I have a wireless Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse. Both are set up for Bluetooth. (These are the only two items in the Bluetooth Preferences Panel.)

When I power on the computer in the morning, I also turn on the keyboard and the mouse switches. The mouse connects with no issue at all.

However, the computer does its search for "discoverable" keyboards. Sometimes I get the message that no keyboard can be found. So I turn off/turn on the keyboard's power button and try again. Other times, I get a message that 1 keyboard has been found, but the it can take quite some time before the PASSKEY CODE box appears. Every time I power on, I have to enter a passcode to connect the keyboard. (Never an issue with mouse.)

Any ideas as to how I can setup the computer so that the keyboard is always found and connects without having to go through the discovery/passcode process?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Keyboard and Bluetooth Connections - 09/09/21 07:55 PM
There have been lots of changes and accompanying improvements in bluetooth connectivity over the years related to the bluetooth standards, the bluetooth transceivers, and the bluetooth software in the computer. But the process is pretty much automatic and there is very little or no "configuration" available at the user level. The best improvements I have encountered were the result of hardware and software (macOS) upgrades. So I don't think it is a configuration issue.

That does not mean there is nothing you can do to improve connectivity...
  • Be sure to Turn your mouse and keyboard on BEFORE you boot your computer so they can be seen at the most opportune moment in the boot process. (I never turn either of mine off because the power drain at idle and effect on battery life is negligible.)
  • Weak batteries can mean weak signals, so be sure the keyboard and mouse batteries are kept well charged.
  • Be sure there is minimal, preferably no, physical barrier, particularly metallic, between your computer and your Keyboard/mouse.
  • Be sure you are running the latest possible version of macOS (in my experience, it can make a significant difference)
  • It sounds as if you may have an older model keyboard, consider upgrading to a newer model with a newer model bluetooth transceiver
  • If all else fails, connect the keyboard to directly to the Mac with a USB cable which terminates the bluetooth connection and turns your keyboard into a wired device while it is charging. (I had to do that during the early macOS 12 betas to assure good connectivity but that was fixed by beta 4)
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Keyboard and Bluetooth Connections - 09/11/21 06:55 PM
Ahhhh!

Be sure to Turn your mouse and keyboard on BEFORE you boot your computer so they can be seen at the most opportune moment in the boot process.

That did the trick. I just wasn't waiting long enough.

blush
© FineTunedMac