Home
Posted By: ryck Mail not changing messages in same thread - 06/08/21 12:26 AM
Where I have a block of messages that are the result of a first message, and then back and forth correspondence using "Reply to", the content does not change as I select different emails. Where I have such a thread (all with the light blue colour), and I click on one email I can read the message. However, If I click on a different email in the same thread, the message remains unchanged. For example: I click on one and the message is "Hocus pocus blah blah blah". Then I click on any other email in the same thread and the message content will always be: "Hocus pocus blah blah blah". It does not matter which message in the thread is clicked on first.

In order to read all the messages I need to click on the first email, read and then click on any message not in the thread; Click on the next email, read and then click on any message not in the thread, et cetera.

I thought this might be an indexing issue but Cocktail cautions: Operation not permitted while System Integrity Protection is engaged. It provides instructions to disable and re-enable System Integrity Protection but I thought "I don't think I should goof with that".

Additional info: It seems to be where the emails have been filed. For example, it's not happening with threads in the Inbox.

Any thoughts?
I first experienced that in Catalina, and although I'm pretty sure it was perpetuated in Big Sur, I'm not 100% certain. It was too minor to aggravate myself over in the larger context of Big Sur. (For what it's worth, I run with SIP disabled.)

I doesn't happen in my inbox either, but it does happen in my trash and maybe my sent box.

It's most annoying!

Update: It happens to me in trash, but only with sequential messages, not when there's an extraneous one stuck in between.
Posted By: ryck Re: Mail not changing messages in same thread - 06/08/21 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by artie505
It's most annoying!
And, apparently, intermittent. This morning my Mail has decided to perform as it should. Between yesterday and now there have been a couple of logouts with restarts.

Update: And now, after the computer being up for a while and activities in Mail, it's gone back to the same issue. Grrrr.
Originally Posted by ryck
It's most annoying!
And, apparently, intermittent.
Which, I guess, is why I can recreate it only intermittently rather than as a function of circumstances.
I just reread that, and I apologize for its coming across as snide.

What I really meant was that your "intermittent" explained why I couldn't replicate something I thought was a constant. I was thinking that the circumstances just weren't right, and making myself crazy trying to recreate the "right ones," when, in fact, the circumstances were right but the moment just wasn't.
Posted By: ryck Re: Mail not changing messages in same thread - 06/11/21 01:49 PM
I just reread that, and I apologize for its coming across as snide.
No problem....that's absolutely not the way I took it.
© FineTunedMac