Home
Posted By: Pete Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/17/09 01:50 AM
iPhone would hook to my wifi but when I tried to use it, it unhooked. I restored from backup, I restored to factory, I deleted apps, I tried everything, no joy. I eventually discovered my iPhone had the IP address of 160.254.59.250 which is The Bank of New York Mellon Corp, where did that come from? I fought this for hours. The cure, I rebooted the router(Netgear) no problems since. I had a iMac and a MacBook Pro hooked to the same router and they were working fine.
That iPhone had been hooking to that router for 6 months no problems, my wife's iPhone worked normally also.
Any thoughts on this???...Pete
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/17/09 07:48 PM
Pete, I don't (yet) have an iPhone, so my knowledge of their innards and workings is nil, still...

Prior to your problems, had you connected to or surfed to Mellon Corp?
Posted By: Pete Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/25/09 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Pete, I don't (yet) have an iPhone, so my knowledge of their innards and workings is nil, still...

Prior to your problems, had you connected to or surfed to Mellon Corp?

I was reading the ip address wrong it was 169.254.59.250 which is what the device assigns itself when the router fails to assign a ip within a certain time limit, so it was not the bank of New York ip. For some reason the router has a problem with my iPhone, I have 4 other devices on the network and they work fine including my wife's iPhone.
Computers will drive U crazy...Pete
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/25/09 04:34 PM
Check the settings on your router to be sure what the range of IP addresses it can distribute is. It may be the additional iPhone exceeds that number.
Posted By: Pete Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/26/09 01:26 AM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Check the settings on your router to be sure what the range of IP addresses it can distribute is. It may be the additional iPhone exceeds that number.

The lan settings r to allow between 192.168.0.2 to 192 168.0.254.

Is this correct???...Pete
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/26/09 08:46 PM
Yes and that provides for 252 possible IP addresses so that is not the problem. On your iPhone > Settings > WiFi > the blue arrow by your network, what do you have for:
  1. which tab is highlighted
    1. DHCP
    2. BootP
    3. Static
  2. IP address:
  3. Subnet Mask:
  4. Router:
  5. DNS:
  6. Search Domains:
Posted By: Pete Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/27/09 12:45 AM
Yes and that provides for 252 possible IP addresses so that is not the problem. On your iPhone > Settings > WiFi > the blue arrow by your network, what do you have for:
  1. which tab is highlighted
    1. DHCP
    2. BootP
    3. Static
  2. IP address:
  3. Subnet Mask:
  4. Router:
  5. DNS:
  6. Search Domains:

DHCP
empty
...Pete
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/28/09 01:32 AM
Quote:
For some reason the router has a problem with my iPhone

Can you be more specific on what the problem between your iPhone and Router is? Your numbers indicate your iPhone is contacting your router, successfully negotiating a DHCP lease, and is using your router as an internet gateway.

I had an iPhone that was connecting to my WiFi network but was unable to access the internet when connected via WiFi. I went through pretty much all the steps you have performed and ended up going to the Genius Desk at my local Apple Store. They fixed the problem by replacing the iPhone, but neither they nor I had, or have, any idea why it would not connect.
Posted By: Pete Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/28/09 05:00 PM
Quote:
For some reason the router has a problem with my iPhone

Can you be more specific on what the problem between your iPhone and Router is? Your numbers indicate your iPhone is contacting your router, successfully negotiating a DHCP lease, and is using your router as an internet gateway.

I had an iPhone that was connecting to my WiFi network but was unable to access the internet when connected via WiFi. I went through pretty much all the steps you have performed and ended up going to the Genius Desk at my local Apple Store. They fixed the problem by replacing the iPhone, but neither they nor I had, or have, any idea why it would not connect.

Twice in the last 2 weeks the router has failed to assign the iPhone a IP address, the solution is to reboot the router, I installed the latest firmware on the netgear router maybe that will help...Thanks for your help and concern...Pete
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/28/09 05:42 PM
Intermittent issues like this are by far the most difficult to troubleshoot. In my case the iPhone would always fail to connect to the internet via WiFi so it was easy to prove the failure to Apple. Since your other devices are reliably connecting through your router, the problem is almost certainly with the iPhone. At this point I am at a loss what to suggest other than taking it to the Genius Desk and explaining the situation to them. crazy
Posted By: Ira L Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/29/09 12:37 AM
What version of iPhone Software are you using?

I too have a Netgear router that was flawless with my iPhone until I went to iPhone OS 3.0. I then suffered from intermittent wifi connections on my iPhone that were extremely annoying. However, once I went to the iPhone OS after that one (and all subsequent updates), it seemed to correct the problem.
Posted By: Pete Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 12/31/09 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Ira L
What version of iPhone Software are you using?

I too have a Netgear router that was flawless with my iPhone until I went to iPhone OS 3.0. I then suffered from intermittent wifi connections on my iPhone that were extremely annoying. However, once I went to the iPhone OS after that one (and all subsequent updates), it seemed to correct the problem.

I am using 3.1.2 as is my wife's iPhone.

It has worked fine for 3 days now
Posted By: Ira L Re: Here is a Head Scratcher - 01/02/10 12:52 AM
Glad to hear all is well. Perhaps just the suggestion that it has worked for others brought your phones into shape! grin
© FineTunedMac