Home
Posted By: jchuzi Mail settings - 11/27/19 12:39 PM
There are three things that I would like to change in Mail but cannot find any way to do them:

1. When sending an email, there is a "whoosh" sound. I would like to specify a different sound.

2. When I download emails, there is no sound if there are no emails to receive. I just get a notice that there are no emails. Can I add a sound to signify this?

3. When composing emails, the window has icons but no words to describe them (for example, sending has a paper plane icon but does not say "send"). I have tried using View > Customize Toolbar but there is no option to add words to the icons. Is there any way to do this?

I have looked in Mail Preferences and can find no way to do these things.
Posted By: MacManiac Re: Mail settings - 11/27/19 04:28 PM
I don't have a suggested solution for either #1 or #2, but as for #3 there is a "hover over" tool tip that appears with a textual explanation for each symbol to explain what it represents.....i.e., if you hover over the paper airplane in a composed message that will yield a "send" tool tip popup explanation.
Posted By: Douglas Re: Mail settings - 11/27/19 05:13 PM
For #3, go to View Menu > Customize Tool Bar and you can set to Icon only, Text & Icon or just Text.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Mail settings - 11/27/19 06:10 PM
Among the 40 published and unpublished settings in Mail there are none to change the Swoosh sound on sending or to add a sound when there is no mail. However if you want to change these badly enough, and you are willing to risk having to reinstall Mail or MacOS to restore functionality if something goes wrong there is a way to modify the Mail app to change the swoosh sound. WARNING only try this on a a copy of the Mail app in case you inadvertently break something!
  1. Control+Click on Mail and select “Show package contents” from the context menu
  2. Navigate to Contents > Resources
  3. Replace MailSent.aif, MailFetch.aif, and mailfetcherror.air with aif sound files of your choice
  4. If everything works to your satisfaction replace Mail.app with your modified copy of Mail.
NOTICE because this modifies the Mail app itself you will have to repeat this procedure every time Mail is updated so you may want to create an Automator app to make the changes every time there is an update.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Mail settings - 11/27/19 07:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Douglas
For #3, go to View Menu > Customize Tool Bar and you can set to Icon only, Text & Icon or just Text.
Unfortunately, that set of options only works for the main toolbar, not for the toolbar in the new message window.
Posted By: MacManiac Re: Mail settings - 11/27/19 09:21 PM
The semi-good news is that the hover over reveal tool-tip technique still works there.....
© FineTunedMac