Home
Posted By: jaybass emails transfer - 04/24/18 02:53 PM
OS 10.12.6

I have emails on a thumb drive which I want to transfer into my email inbox.
I've tried dragging and looking for importing but to no avail. Can someone advise me?

Thanks in advance, jaybass
Posted By: Ira L Re: emails transfer - 04/24/18 04:27 PM
More info, please. In what format are the e-mails on your thumb drive? Into which mail application are you trying to import?

An e-mail does not usually live as a separate file outside of some sort of mail application, unless it is exported as a PDF or text file. Once exported like that I don't think they will come back into a mail app as an e-mail; as an attachment in an e-mail, but not as an original e-mail.

An exception to the above would be if the e-mails were exported in some mailbox format. Is that what you have? If so, then knowing the source and destination applications would be helpful.
Posted By: jaybass Re: emails transfer - 04/24/18 05:35 PM
My email server is bell Canada and as far as I know, they are basic formats...something which I am not really familiar with.

I can drag emails onto my desktop and also into a thumb drive but I cannot drag DIFFERENT emails into my inbox. What happened was I had both bell and yahoo mail servers and I wanted to get rid of yahoo mail with some exceptions which I put on a thumb drive. Of course erasing yahoo mail deleted all of their mail so I had to save a few to a drive and then erase. And now I cannot find a way to save those exceptions to my inbox.

If there is not a solution, I will have to revert back to the original setup via backup.

jaybass

Posted By: jaybass Re: emails transfer - 04/24/18 05:38 PM
Ira,

I see some of those emails are messages and PNG images

jaybass
Posted By: joemikeb Re: emails transfer - 04/24/18 07:31 PM
What is the file extension on the messages? You will either have to go to Finder > Preferences > Advanced and check "Show all filename extensions" or Control+click on one of the messages and select "Get Info" on the context menu and look under "Name and Extension".
Posted By: Ira L Re: emails transfer - 04/25/18 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
My email server is bell Canada and as far as I know, they are basic formats...something which I am not really familiar with.

What e-mail software are you using? Apple Mail? Web browser signing in to the Bell or Yahoo's site on line?
Posted By: jaybass Re: emails transfer - 04/26/18 06:48 PM
I am using apple mail. I trashed yahoo completely but I saved the emails first.

I managed to put them onto the desktop and then created a new smart mailbox and somehow got them into the new smart mailbox and from there I got them to appear in very heavy print as emails which I could drag into the inbox. Then when I opened them up, the print became regular. I was trying everywhichway but I finally did it. Please don't ask me how. Thanks for your help fellows.

jaybass
© FineTunedMac