Home
Posted By: jchuzi migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/21/18 04:45 PM
My default email client is Entourage 2008. It works decently in High Sierra but can be temperamental sometimes. Unfortunately, it's a 32-bit app that will not work in Apple's next OS. So, I want to buy MS Office 365, which includes Outlook. I don't like Mail and I'm not sure that other email clients will work as well for me as Entourage. Outlook is similar. (And, to tell the truth, my wife is averse to learning new programs. In the interests of marital harmony, I want to change as little as possible.)

My question: Is it possible to migrate my contacts from Contacts.app to Outlook's address book? I did this easily with Entourage by dragging the contacts from Contacts (that sounds strange!) to the desktop, which creates v-cards. Then, I open Addresses from Entourage and drag them into that window. Does anybody know if this will work with Outlook?
Posted By: grelber Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/21/18 04:54 PM
What you want is Mozilla's Thunderbird (which is 64-bit).
I've been using it since it was cleaved off the Mozilla browser.
I've got several email accounts, all of which can be accommodated by Thunderbird. (The only one I keep totally separate is Gmail.)
It works like a charm, and all of your email clients can be checked on a single pass.
Give it a gander and maybe even a try.
You should be able to import your current address book to Thunderbird via the Import tab.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/21/18 06:37 PM
Can I import my accounts and emails into Thunderbird from Entourage 2008?
Posted By: grelber Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/21/18 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Can I import my accounts and emails into Thunderbird from Entourage 2008?

I would think so.
In fact, I never had to import any email stored on other email clients. Once you set up each account on Thunderbird — depending on the choices you make while setting it up — it automatically transfers email to Thunderbird. Each account can be set up "as you like it".
Your best bet would be to download the latest version of Thunderbird (52.7.0), transfer one or more of your accounts to same and set the specs to your desire(s).
If you don't like the way it works, just dump Thunderbird ... and carry on regardless.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/21/18 09:24 PM
Thanks! I'll give Thunderbird a try.
Posted By: Ira L Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 04:23 PM
To respond to your original export question, yes you can go from Contacts to Outlook. I just did this with a client with the added variation that the only complete list of contacts was on his iPhone. We used a free app (search "export contacts" in the App Store) to go from Contacts to a CSV format file via the app, which could then easily be imported into Outlook.

By the way, try the vcard thing that you previously did before trying the above. That could work too. You may not be able to do it with drag and drop, but there are menu choices to "Export…" (select all contacts) and then "Import…" into Outlook.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 05:09 PM
Thanks. I'll try drag-and-drop first, though.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 05:10 PM
I installed and configured Thunderbird but I can't figure out how to make it do what I want. I need to have my account and my wife's account totally separate, as in Entourage. She has her own folders, emails, etc. and so do I. As far as I can tell, this can't be done with Thunderbird. Any thoughts?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 05:25 PM
Is giving your wife her own separate account on our computer out of the question?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 07:00 PM
Considering that she doesn't want to learn how to log in (or learn anything more complicated than surfing the web and using email), that's not an option. (I had already thought of that.) That's why I'm planning on getting MS Office 365 because it has Outlook. AFAIK, Outlook has the same account capability as Entourage. Besides, my installation of Office 2008 won't work in macOS 10.14, and Word 2008 as well as Entourage 2008 are becoming unstable.
Posted By: grelber Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 08:31 PM
I installed and configured Thunderbird but I can't figure out how to make it do what I want. I need to have my account and my wife's account totally separate, as in Entourage. She has her own folders, emails, etc. and so do I. As far as I can tell, this can't be done with Thunderbird. Any thoughts?

Not sure why you can't do it. It'd be just like setting a separate account for yourself. I've got 3 accounts under Thunderbird, all with the same moniker but each from a different source (under Account Settings).
Please elaborate on why you can't do it.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 08:38 PM
How do I switch from one account to another so that the accounts are totally independent? I tried this Mozilla help page and found it totally unhelpful because the respondents didn't give a method, except for establishing another account, which I already did.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 08:41 PM
I know you are not fond of iOS, but giving your wife her own iPad might suit her right dwn to the ground. She might start doing really high tech things like using Facebook to follow her friends or ordering from Amazon, if all she had to do was launch the appropriate app and her fingerprint was her secure password. (Facebook??? Amazon??? — well, maybe that isn't such a great idea after all. tongue )

Seriously, I have been successful in getting several of my wife's avowed technophobe friends (even my sister-in-law who considers the lid on a medicine bottle as high tech) into the computer age by introducing them to an iPad Pro.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 09:52 PM
My wife and an iPad? She uses our computer only out of necessity. Nice suggestion, but I know that it will never fly.
Posted By: grelber Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 11:24 PM
How do I switch from one account to another so that the accounts are totally independent?

Now I see what you mean. You can only have one Thunderbird at a time within which you can have multiple accounts. But if those accounts need to be inaccessible between/among users, you're SOL.
If one of your other solutions allows such, you're better off going with same.
If your spouse remains refractory in the ways you've described, I'm surprised that she wants to put you through the wringer rather just allow "side by side" email accounts within the context of Thunderbird. C'est la vie, je suppose.
Posted By: artie505 Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/23/18 11:40 PM
Could you use two different apps...one for each of you?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 04/24/18 10:08 AM
Originally Posted By: artie505
Could you use two different apps...one for each of you?
That's a good suggestion. I plan to purchase MS Office 365 in any event, so I'll see how it goes after I set up Outlook.

Thanks for the idea!
Posted By: jchuzi Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 05/17/18 10:07 AM
I finally downloaded and installed Office 365. Fortunately, in contrast to a couple of posts that I read elsewhere, Office 2008 did not disappear, so Entourage 2008 is still functional. I spent about an hour backing up everything before taking the plunge and, thankfully, it was not necessary.

I had exported my Entourage addresses to the desktop by dragging them into a folder, creating vcards. Importing them into Outlook was a bit tedious because Outlook choked if I tried to do too many at once, but the deed is done. I could see no way to import my emails into Outlook from Entourage, so I emailed the important ones (in Entourage) to myself and then downloaded them into Outlook. I'm still exploring Outlook but, at first glance, I prefer Entourage.

Posted By: MG2009 Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 05/18/18 02:55 AM
A couple of years ago, I was forced to move to OUTLOOK because my email is with HOTMAIL. Not crazy about Outlook's look or functions. For example: When deleting messages using my iPAD, each one has to be deleted one at a time . . . there is no option (that I can find) to "select all" and/or "delete all."

When on the MBPro, however, I use Apple MAIL and am much happier with its functions and features.

Posted By: jchuzi Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 05/18/18 10:08 AM
I can't speak for iOS, but with macOS and Outlook, I can select the top email and then Shift-click the bottom email. That selects all of them. Then, I click Delete. Pressing Command-A works (and that's the same as Edit > Select All, which does appear in the Edit menu).
Posted By: artie505 Re: (Don't) migrate contacts to Outlook - 05/18/18 04:19 PM
I think MG2009 has echoed the conclusion reached in an old thread that dealt with his exact issue.
© FineTunedMac