Home
Posted By: plantsower Page Error - 02/09/18 11:28 PM
I've been going nuts trying to find out why I can't use a survey site. They say it's not on their end. I have this problems with two sites. The error message from the one site on Opinion Outpost reads as such: This could happen because you were either suspected of violating our terms and conditions or someone else already participated in this survey using this computer. They claim I am in good standing and there is no one else using my computer.

I called Apple who couldn't help and blamed the companies which I know isn't the case because others are using them just fine.

I emptied my caches, I accept third party cookies if I go to that site, I tried all the browser choices from my develop menu and nothing works. I also disabled my extensions but that wasn't it.

Any other ideas as to why I can't load certain pages on certain websites?

Thanks.

Rita
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/09/18 11:57 PM
Hi, Rita,

Long time ... cool

Rather than trying to spoof other browsers via Develop, try d/l'ing Firefox, perhaps others browsers too, and see if you can get into your site via the real thing.

The few attempts I've made at spoofing have all been unsuccessful.

More: I just noticed "Sierra 10.12.5, Safari 10.1.1" in your sig, and I"ll suggest that you update to 10.12.6 and Safari 11.0.3, which may help.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 12:14 AM
I concur with Artie re updating etc. Your problem could be Safari, with its and/or your Mac’s configuration. Have you tried another browser like Chrome, Firefox or Opera (to name just a few)? Any result will tell us something useful, even if it doesn’t unequivocally finger a culprit…
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 01:38 AM
Hi Artie: Good to hear from you. I already have the Tor browser and it didn't work. Would that not be enough?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 01:40 AM
I tried Tor. I did have try one of the "browsers" under develop for another problem and it worked but not here. So, I guess downloading the real deal makes a difference? I don't want to have to but I will if I need to. But like I said, Tor didn't work.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 01:42 AM
Forgot to mention I am already at 10.12.6. I will change my info on FTM.

Originally Posted By: artie505
Hi, Rita,

Long time ... cool

Rather than trying to spoof other browsers via Develop, try d/l'ing Firefox, perhaps others browsers too, and see if you can get into your site via the real thing.

The few attempts I've made at spoofing have all been unsuccessful.

More: I just noticed "Sierra 10.12.5, Safari 10.1.1" in your sig, and I"ll suggest that you update to 10.12.6 and Safari 11.0.3, which may help.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 01:56 AM
In 10.12.6 you should have Safari 11.0.3, not 11.0.2 as per your sig.

Check the App Store to see what you're missing.

I can't say for sure whether or not Tor fits the bill, so I"ll suggest that you d/l Firefox.

More: Just to be sure, have you shut down/started up your MBP?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 04:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I will update Safari tomorrow. If that doesn't work and shutting down my MBP doesn't work, I will d/l Firefox. Crossing fingers.

In 10.12.6 you should have Safari 11.0.3, not 11.0.2 as per your sig.

Check the App Store to see what you're missing.

I can't say for sure whether or not Tor fits the bill, so I"ll suggest that you d/l Firefox.

More: Just to be sure, have you shut down/started up your MBP?
Posted By: tacit Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 04:52 AM
Originally Posted By: plantsower
Hi Artie: Good to hear from you. I already have the Tor browser and it didn't work. Would that not be enough?

That's likely the problem.

When you use Tor, you send your traffic through the TOR network and you connect to the Web site you're browsing from not directly from your computer, but from a TOR exit node.

Let's say Jane uses TOR to connect to a survey. Jane's traffic goes through a TOR exit node. As far as the survey site is concerned, Jane is using that exit node, NOT Jane's home computer.

Then you connect to the same survey site. You go through the same exit node. As far as the survey site is concerned, you are using that exit node, NOT your home computer. But Jane has already used that exit node! So the survey site says "sorry, you've already done this survey."
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 04:56 AM
Hi: I guess that could be the problem with using TORm but that was my backup plan. I usually use Safari which is having the problems, too. I am hoping to d/l Firefox tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. Thanks, Tacit.

Originally Posted By: tacit

When you use Tor, you send your traffic through the TOR network and you connect to the Web site you're browsing from not directly from your computer, but from a TOR exit node.

Let's say Jane uses TOR to connect to a survey. Jane's traffic goes through a TOR exit node. As far as the survey site is concerned, Jane is using that exit node, NOT Jane's home computer.

Then you connect to the same survey site. You go through the same exit node. As far as the survey site is concerned, you are using that exit node, NOT your home computer. But Jane has already used that exit node! So the survey site says "sorry, you've already done this survey."
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 11:19 AM
I knew I needed to hedge on Tor, but I wasn't sure why; thanks for explaining it.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 04:46 PM
I downloaded Firefox but no go. Still getting error message.

Originally Posted By: tacit

Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 04:56 PM
Have you gone through your cookies in Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Manage.... and deleted everything that sounds like it's related to your websites, and restarted afterwards?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 05:01 PM
When you used the TOR browser, what security settings did you use? Did you try setting up another routing?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 06:53 PM
Just tried it. No dice. frown

Have you gone through your cookies in Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Manage.... and deleted everything that sounds like it's related to your websites, and restarted afterwards?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 06:55 PM
I don't know how to do that but I shouldn't have to use TOR. I d/l'd Firefox today and it still doesn't work. I also upgraded Safari. Not working for these sites.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
When you used the TOR browser, what security settings did you use? Did you try setting up another routing?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 08:48 PM
I agree that you should not have to use TOR but on the TOR tool bar click on the second icon inform the left (looks like an onion) and you will find...
  • The actual servers you are going through are shown on the right hand side of the drop down menu with selections on the left.
  • New Identity (⌘⇧U) — this will close all windows and session, restart TOR and establishes a new identity & routing.
  • New TOR Circuit for this site (⌘⇧L) — The screen should blink and a new set of routers appear on the right side of the drop down.
  • Security Settings — allows setting low medium or high security. CAUTION: Not all sites will work correctly on medium and high settings because javascript is disabled but it makes identifying either you or the browser almost impossible.
  • TOR Network Settings — Settings for countries that censor TOR, proxy and firewall settings.
  • Check for browser update — self explanatory
Unless you login with a userid and password or the sites have set cookies in your browsers, with medium or high security settings in TOR the sites should not be able to identify you, your computer, your browser, or your IP address.

If you have already answered this and I overlooked it, please forgive me, but have you tried going to those sites using Safari on your iPhone? Different router, different IP address, different cookies.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 09:31 PM
I went to the Security part of TOR and got a new identity. I was already at standard security, not the safest. It still didn't work.

I tried my iPhone (I had no idea it had a different router, IP address or cookies! I learned something.) I almost thought it was going to work but it said come back later. Maybe because I clicked on a survey from an email I had already tried. Next time I get a new email from them, I will try again. It's a pain to do it on the phone, though. A big screen pops up about cookies that covered a big part of the survey screen and I can't get rid of it. Anyway, wish me luck next time I get an email from them. We'll see how it goes. I really wish I could do it from my laptop, but oh well.

I agree that you should not have to use TOR but on the TOR tool bar click on the second icon inform the left (looks like an onion) and you will find...
  • The actual servers you are going through are shown on the right hand side of the drop down menu with selections on the left.
  • New Identity (⌘⇧U) — this will close all windows and session, restart TOR and establishes a new identity & routing.
  • New TOR Circuit for this site (⌘⇧L) — The screen should blink and a new set of routers appear on the right side of the drop down.
  • Security Settings — allows setting low medium or high security. CAUTION: Not all sites will work correctly on medium and high settings because javascript is disabled but it makes identifying either you or the browser almost impossible.
  • TOR Network Settings — Settings for countries that censor TOR, proxy and firewall settings.
  • Check for browser update — self explanatory
Unless you login with a userid and password or the sites have set cookies in your browsers, with medium or high security settings in TOR the sites should not be able to identify you, your computer, your browser, or your IP address.

If you have already answered this and I overlooked it, please forgive me, but have you tried going to those sites using Safari on your iPhone? Different router, different IP address, different cookies.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/10/18 11:12 PM
A big screen pops up about cookies that covered a big part of the survey screen and I can't get rid of it.

Is that "cookies" screen standard, or might it give you some insight into your problem?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/11/18 01:51 AM
It's a part of the Opinion Outpost website though I never noticed it when I used my laptop.

A big screen pops up about cookies that covered a big part of the survey screen and I can't get rid of it.

Is that "cookies" screen standard, or might it give you some insight into your problem?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/11/18 02:24 AM
I was wondering if it maybe says something that might give you a clue about what's going on, and now, particularly, since it sounds like you've never seen it before.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/11/18 04:10 AM
Right, I don't remember seeing it at all on my Mac but it sure showed up on my iPhone. But, no, I don't have a clue. That's what I have you guys for. smile

I was wondering if it maybe says something that might give you a clue about what's going on, and now, particularly, since it sounds like you've never seen it before.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/11/18 04:16 AM
...I don't have a clue. That's what I have you guys for. smile

Well, how about giving us a clue? Can you read that pop-up and tell us what it says?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/11/18 04:38 AM
It's pretty long, but it just tells about third party cookies and about deleting cookies etc. It was in big letters and in my way. Now it isn't doing that. It just has a little section below that says "cookie Notice". I can click on it and then click "done" and it goes back down to a small block. So, honestly, that's not a problem anymore, at least at this time. Now I am anxious for another email to come in so I can try it from my phone to see if it works. It's better than nothing I guess. I don't like doing things like that on a phone.

...I don't have a clue. That's what I have you guys for. smile

Well, how about giving us a clue? Can you read that pop-up and tell us what it says?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/11/18 08:57 PM
OK, I tried it from my phone and got the same error message. I give up!
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/11/18 09:45 PM
Bummer!

I wonder what's to be learned from your trying to get into your site from your husband's PC?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/11/18 09:49 PM
Oh, good idea. I can’t right now but I will write that down and try it. Thanks. Never thought of that.

Bummer!

I wonder what's to be learned from your trying to get into your site from your husband's PC?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/11/18 11:57 PM
I don't know if your sig is up to date, Rita, but your Safari version is one tick behind the times...s/b 11.0.3, which I believe came along with a security update, and your iTunes isn't up to date either.

Have you checked your updates tab in the App Store lately?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/12/18 04:34 AM
My Safari is up to date I just neglected to update my profile. I don't use iTunes so I don't bother updating it. I have checked the updates in the App store and updated those things I was interested in like Safari, Sierra and Security.

I don't know if your sig is up to date, Rita, but your Safari version is one tick behind the times...s/b 11.0.3, which I believe came along with a security update, and your iTunes isn't up to date either.

Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/13/18 05:39 PM
OK, I tried using my husband's computer. He only has windows 8 but I am not allowed to change it. I used Internet Explorer and Firefox with the same error messages. I cannot update because he doesn't want that, but I really don't think that's what it is. I wonder if it's the firewall on our router. We need that for protection so now what?

Posted By: joemikeb Re: Page Error - 02/13/18 08:33 PM
I have sometimes run into issues with web sites cause by the DNS (Dynamic Name Server) blocking suspect IP address or domains and it is not always easy to determine where the issue actually originates or where an error message is coming from. In this case the solution can often be as simple as switching to a Public DNS server.

On your Mac
  1. go to System Preferences > Network — click on the padlock at the bottom left of the window and enter the password for your account (assuming you have administrative privileges)
  2. Once the password has been entered click on the "Advanced" button at the lower right side of the window
  3. At the top of the next window click on DNS
  4. There will be one or two IP addresses listed (if the listed IP addresses begin with 10, 172, or 192 you are getting your IP addresses from your local network router and most likely that in turn is coming from your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
  5. Make a note of the IP address currently listed i case you want to resotre them in the future
  6. Select one or the listed IP addresses and click on the minus sign (—) at the bottom of the window to remove it.
  7. Repeat the process with the second IP address
  8. Click on the Plus Sign (+) at the bottom of the window and a null IP address (0.0.0.0) will appear. Click the P;us Sign a second time: These addresses must now be changed to the IP address of a Public DNS Server. There are several options but probably the most commonly used are:
    • Google: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    • Open DNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
  9. The next two steps are essential to effecting the change
  10. After entering the IP addresses click on OK at the bottom right of the DNS window.
  11. Click on Apply at the bottom right of the Network window
On Your iPhone and/or iPad:
  • Go to Settings > WiFi
  • Touch the Get Info icon to the right of the WiFi Network name
  • Under DNS touch Configure DNS
  • Touch Manual
  • Under DNS Servers touch the green Add Server button and enter the first of the IP addresses for your selected DNS server
  • Repeat for the second DNS server IP address
  • If there is another IP address already listed (probably beginning with 10, 172, or 192 touch the minus sign by that number to delete it.
NOTE: On iOS devices the DNS server is set on a network-by-network basis. I recommend that unless you encounter difficulties you only set your home and/or office network DNS server manually. I have occasionally encountered public WiFi networks that block access to any DNS server other than their own. Those same networks also blocked the use of VPN (Virtual Private Network) servers and Onion Routing probably in an effort to prevent their public network from being used for illicit purposes.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/13/18 09:06 PM
Thank you for that detailed information. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I used 8.8.8.8.

I have sometimes run into issues with web sites cause by the DNS (Dynamic Name Server) blocking suspect IP address or domains and it is not always easy to determine where the issue actually originates or where an error message is coming from. In this case the solution can often be as simple as switching to a Public DNS server.

On your Mac
  1. go to System Preferences > Network — click on the padlock at the bottom left of the window and enter the password for your account (assuming you have administrative privileges)
  2. Once the password has been entered click on the "Advanced" button at the lower right side of the window
  3. At the top of the next window click on DNS
  4. There will be one or two IP addresses listed (if the listed IP addresses begin with 10, 172, or 192 you are getting your IP addresses from your local network router and most likely that in turn is coming from your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
  5. Make a note of the IP address currently listed i case you want to resotre them in the future
  6. Select one or the listed IP addresses and click on the minus sign (—) at the bottom of the window to remove it.
  7. Repeat the process with the second IP address
  8. Click on the Plus Sign (+) at the bottom of the window and a null IP address (0.0.0.0) will appear. Click the P;us Sign a second time: These addresses must now be changed to the IP address of a Public DNS Server. There are several options but probably the most commonly used are:
    • Google: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    • Open DNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
  9. The next two steps are essential to effecting the change
  10. After entering the IP addresses click on OK at the bottom right of the DNS window.
  11. Click on Apply at the bottom right of the Network window
On Your iPhone and/or iPad:
  • Go to Settings > WiFi
  • Touch the Get Info icon to the right of the WiFi Network name
  • Under DNS touch Configure DNS
  • Touch Manual
  • Under DNS Servers touch the green Add Server button and enter the first of the IP addresses for your selected DNS server
  • Repeat for the second DNS server IP address
  • If there is another IP address already listed (probably beginning with 10, 172, or 192 touch the minus sign by that number to delete it.
NOTE: On iOS devices the DNS server is set on a network-by-network basis. I recommend that unless you encounter difficulties you only set your home and/or office network DNS server manually. I have occasionally encountered public WiFi networks that block access to any DNS server other than their own. Those same networks also blocked the use of VPN (Virtual Private Network) servers and Onion Routing probably in an effort to prevent their public network from being used for illicit purposes.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/13/18 09:17 PM
Thank you for that detailed information. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I used 8.8.8.8.

I thiiink you've got to use the pair, Rita... 8.8.8.8 on one line and 8.8.4.4 on a second line.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Page Error - 02/13/18 10:10 PM
The way the pair works is there is an intermediate server that routes the DNS request to whichever address is closer on the network. The automatic setting in iOS typically resolves to only a single IP address.

When you say, it did not work, am I correct that means you still did not get through to the survey site?

One last test I can think of. I know you don't want to use your iPhone for this but it is worth a trial. On your iPhone in Settings turn WiFi off. That will force the connection to go through the cellular data link. If that does not work and you are not logging on the site with a userid or userid/password combination the problem is definitely NOT your to solve. There has to be something on their site that is blocking your access. Remember that too often the phone tech support people are chosen from a pool of individuals with little or no computer expertise. Their only expertise being the ability to read a canned script of troubleshooting steps. (I know because I used to train Tech Support "engineers" for Microsoft)
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/13/18 10:27 PM
OK, just tried with both lines and no dice.

I thiiink you've got to use the pair, Rita... 8.8.8.8 on one line and 8.8.4.4 on a second line.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Page Error - 02/13/18 10:29 PM
Unfortunately I have a very cheap plan for now (I will be changing it in the future) and I don't have data included in it. frown When I do, (probably months from now) I will try to remember to try that.

As far as reading from a script, everyone I call reads from scripts including my insurance companies, Amazon and xm radio. Very frustrating.

The way the pair works is there is an intermediate server that routes the DNS request to whichever address is closer on the network. The automatic setting in iOS typically resolves to only a single IP address.

When you say, it did not work, am I correct that means you still did not get through to the survey site?

One last test I can think of. I know you don't want to use your iPhone for this but it is worth a trial. On your iPhone in Settings turn WiFi off. That will force the connection to go through the cellular data link. If that does not work and you are not logging on the site with a userid or userid/password combination the problem is definitely NOT your to solve. There has to be something on their site that is blocking your access. Remember that too often the phone tech support people are chosen from a pool of individuals with little or no computer expertise. Their only expertise being the ability to read a canned script of troubleshooting steps. (I know because I used to train Tech Support "engineers" for Microsoft)
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/14/18 04:18 PM
The way the pair works is there is an intermediate server that routes the DNS request to whichever address is closer on the network.

I've wondered about that for years but haven't found it important enough to question. Thanks! smile

I've got both the Open DNS and Google addresses in my DNS pane; are all four of them considered for routing or only the first two...Open DNS in my instance?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Page Error - 02/14/18 05:26 PM
Typically the search starts at the top of the list and goes in sequence from there.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/14/18 05:45 PM
Typically the search starts at the top of the list and goes in sequence from there.

So each additional address that the server has to search adds some time to the search and load process.

Have you got an opinion on whether the longer (albeit probably by a minuscule amount of time) search necessitated by my having both Open DNS and Google addresses entered in my DNS pane adds to or detracts from my browsing experience?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Page Error - 02/15/18 02:42 PM
Try changing the number order etc. of IP addresses in System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS and after each change using something like Network Utility X ($4) to ping a site by URL and by IP address and look at the average ping time. That will give you an idea of what works best from your particular location on that particular day at that particular time. Repeat that add different times on different days and you will arrive at a reasonable guesstimate of which is best on the average. Remember you will be dealing in probably > 10 milliseconds difference.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Page Error - 02/15/18 04:22 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive answer, but I think "you will be dealing in probably > 10 milliseconds difference" is really all the answer I needed. wink smile
© FineTunedMac