Home
Posted By: jchuzi arrange bookmarks in Safari - 01/22/18 05:16 PM
In the past, I used Bookdog (no longer available) to arrange bookmarks alphabetically and sync them with other browsers. Bookdog is so outdated that it doesn't work well anymore. Syncing is not that much of an issue with me but I would like to find a way to automate arranging of bookmarks when I add new ones. Yes, I can do this manually, but that can be a nuisance.

I know that there are other third-party apps that can do this (Markster and BookMacster come to mind), but is there a way to do this from within Safari? I checked Safari Help and only got advice about manually arranging them.
Posted By: Ira L Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 01/22/18 10:46 PM
Yep, manually moving them within Safari's Bookmark Editor is the "only" way to alphabetize them within Safari without a third party application.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 01/22/18 11:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Ira L
Yep, manually moving them within Safari's Bookmark Editor is the "only" way to alphabetize them within Safari without a third party application.
That's what I thought. PITA.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 01/23/18 11:19 AM
I just found SafariSort and it works quite well.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 01/26/18 01:17 AM
I use SafariSort as well. Simple and does the job. Free.
Posted By: Gregg Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 01/27/18 04:39 PM
I just place them as I create them. Never needed to sort 'em.
Posted By: artie505 Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 04/25/18 04:04 PM
A new version of Safari has just been released that "Enables sorting bookmarks by name or URL by right clicking and choosing 'Sort By...'".
Posted By: Pendragon Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 04/26/18 01:45 PM
Artie,

Thanks for the post, but alas, I must be overlooking something, as I can't find where to right click.

When you have a moment, please provide the path.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 04/26/18 03:20 PM
In the Safari sidebar select a folder then right click or Control+Click and a menu will appear. At the bottom of the menu is the option to sort by name or address. That sorts the contents of that folder only and does not sort the contents of any sub-folders. If you have sub-folders you will have to sort their contents folder by folder. (At least it works that way in Safari Technology Preview)
Posted By: artie505 Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 04/26/18 03:36 PM
It works as you described in both Safari's sidebar and a command-option-B window.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 04/26/18 03:36 PM
Many thanks, Joe. That worked a treat! grin
Posted By: MG2009 Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 04/26/18 04:12 PM
SafariSort (mentioned in an earlier post) also sorts by FOLDER FIRST, if preferred.

The Safari browser, as far as I can tell, sorts only by name OR address.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 04/26/18 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: MG2009
The Safari browser, as far as I can tell, sorts only by name OR address.

OR by manual drag and drop.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 04/27/18 10:05 AM
Personally, I find it easier to use Safari Sort than Safari's new arrangement capability.
Posted By: artie505 Re: arrange bookmarks in Safari - 04/27/18 10:21 AM
Computers notwithstanding, I still remember enough of the alphabet to do my own sorting. tongue (And I haven't got a hell of a lot of bookmarks to deal with. grin )
© FineTunedMac