Home
Posted By: grelber Firefox - 07/17/17 05:00 PM
At the moment I'm running on fumes.
Mozilla no longer supports Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5), so I'm perilously close to the edge of the abyss with respect to Firefox (and Thunderbird).
I'm using Firefox ESR 45.9.0 (and Thunderbird 45.8.0) and will continue to do so (despite potential security issues) since I won't be updating my OS in the foreseeable future in order to update my browser.

QUERIES:
1. Even though Mozilla states that I cannot update to their latest Firefox and Thunderbird versions which "require Mac" OS X 9 or above, is it possible to install/update the newer versions under Lion?
2. What's the worst that can happen (and how likely is it to happen) if I carry on with the last versions of Firefox and Thunderbird which reliably function and are relatively secure in Lion?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Firefox - 07/17/17 09:24 PM
When an app or version of an app will no longer run it is almost always because one or more APIs (Application Program Interface) that connects the app to essential OS functions has changed or been replaced in later versions of the OS. Developers are given plenty of advance notice of the change, but seldom, if ever, is it possible to support both the old and new APIs in the same app build.

Since the Firefox is a drag and drop installation, there is no reason it cannot be "installed" what happens after that is another matter. As to what the results might be, in rough — very rough — order of possibility from most to least likely...
  1. Firefox either will not launch or will crash reliably
  2. Firefox would launch but many functions would not work. That could be anything from unusable to annoying or limiting
  3. You would be vulnerable to exploits that have since been patched
  4. Worst case scenario would be Firefix damaging system and/or user data files
  5. Something not on this list
  6. Some of the above
  7. None of the above
Posted By: deniro Re: Firefox - 07/17/17 09:56 PM
Usually when your system can't run a program, there's a symbol of a circle with a line through it on the program's icon when you try to install the program. You can drag and drop the icon to your Applications folder, but when you try to run the program, the system will give you message that you can't because a higher OS number is required.

I've been stuck on Firefox 39 for years and nothing's happened to my system. Depending on how you use the internet, the security fears are excessive. Most individuals aren't targets. Large institutions are, and important individuals, so to speak. Not all of us are under the same risk. We have varying degrees of security needs.

For two years I've used Windows with freeware antivirus and antimalware programs. I've never seen anything especially menacing on my computers. For much of that time I was using Windows XP when so many people were hysterical about dropping it because it was no longer supported.

I can't think of many drawbacks. Some extensions will only work on newer versions of Firefox. The latest version of 1Password requires recent versions of Firefox. So I use an old version of 1Password. Other than what I've mentioned, using older versions of Firefox isn't a big deal.

Opera isn't bad, either, though considering it's owned by the Chinese you might want to avoid it. Although my Mac is ten years old, I was able to run the latest version of Firefox on Mint (on a partition) and it's plenty speedy if you decide to take that route.
Posted By: grelber Re: Firefox - 07/17/17 11:26 PM
Originally Posted By: deniro
I've been stuck on Firefox 39 for years and nothing's happened to my system. ...
I can't think of many drawbacks. Some extensions will only work on newer versions of Firefox. Other than what I've mentioned, using older versions of Firefox isn't a big deal.

That's pretty much what I wanted to hear and so will continue to use Firefox ESR 45.9.0 and Thunderbird 45.8.0 — ± without qualms — until something significant bites the dust (similar to my hanging on to Mac OS 9* long past its viability).

The concerns raised by joemikeb I will take under advisement (ie, I won't do anything which might invoke such problems).

* Side note for assembled multitudes' (almost certain) amusement:
I finally disabled and recycled my 2000 iMac DV SE Graphite running Mac OS 9.2.2 which was taking up more than 2 sq.ft of real estate on my desk ever since 2011 on the off-chance that it might be necessary to "re-commission" it just in case of a case (which of course never materialized).
tongue crazy wink
© FineTunedMac