Home
Posted By: ryck Unable to configure Airport Extreme - 12/22/16 04:51 AM
The wifi to my iPad stopped working and I got a message, "Cellular data is turned off. Turn on cellular data or use wifi to access data."

In order to select my wifi network I need to make it visible as I run as a closed network. Therefore I opened Airport Utility (V6.3.1) which asked to install a firmware update. I installed the update.

When I try to open "Configure other" I get the request to enter the Base password, which I do, but the software enters into several minutes of "Reading settings on "Base Name".

Then it presents a dialogue box that says "Error occurred while reading the configuration".

So, now I'm stuck without wifi to my iPad. Any ideas?

EDIT: Fixed it. I did a soft reset and created a wireless network using the same name and passwords as before, and it now works.

It would be good to know what happened, if anyone has any ideas. Edit: That is, why would the wifi become "disconnected" in the first place? It had been in use, laid down for a half hour, but without wifi when next picked up.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Unable to configure Airport Extreme - 12/22/16 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: ryck
In order to select my wifi network I need to make it visible as I run as a closed network.

You should be able to select a hidden network. (a network that is not actively advertising its presence by broadcasting its SSD) Go to Wi-Fi, and at the bottom of the list is "Other..."
Posted By: ryck Re: Unable to configure Airport Extreme - 12/25/16 01:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
You should be able to select a hidden network. (a network that is not actively advertising its presence by broadcasting its SSD) Go to Wi-Fi, and at the bottom of the list is "Other..."

That didn't work, which I assume is part of being a hidden network. If it was that easy to expose a hidden network, why bother?
Posted By: ryck Re: Unable to configure Airport Extreme - 12/25/16 01:42 PM
The wifi to my iPad stopped working and I got a message, "Cellular data is turned off. Turn on cellular data or use wifi to access data.

It happened again. The iPad was being used last night but this morning was not connected to wifi.

It would be good to know what happened, if anyone has any ideas. That is, why would the wifi become "disconnected" in the first place? This has never happened until these last two events, which follow the update to the new iOS.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Unable to configure Airport Extreme - 12/25/16 06:03 PM
I have had a similar problem three or four years ago.

It was the precursor to needing and getting a new Airport Time Capsule. FWIW it was just the WiFi system that had become flakey and since the disk drive in the old Time Capsule still worked I connected it to the new Time Capsule via ethernet configured it to turn off the Wifi and I still use it as a Network Attached Storage. It works great.
Posted By: ryck Re: Unable to configure Airport Extreme - 12/25/16 06:22 PM
Okay, thanks....and Merry Christmas.
Posted By: pbGuy Re: Unable to configure Airport Extreme - 12/28/16 02:26 PM
... It happened again. The iPad was being used last night but this morning was not connected to wifi. ...

Just a thought since no one has mentioned....

Check Airport Utility's Network tab for your "Timed Access Control" ...If you clicked the "Enable Access Control" - make sure all your wireless devices, accessing your WiFi, are set for "Everyday" & "All Day"
Posted By: ryck Re: Unable to configure Airport Extreme - 12/29/16 01:42 AM
Originally Posted By: pbGuy
Check Airport Utility's Network tab for your "Timed Access Control" ...If you clicked the "Enable Access Control" - make sure all your wireless devices, accessing your WiFi, are set for "Everyday" & "All Day"

Done….we'll see what happens. Thanks.
© FineTunedMac