Home
Posted By: jchuzi ScamZapper extension not appearing in Safari - 08/01/16 11:39 PM
I'm using Safari 9.1.2. I just updated ScamZapper to version 2.0.2. The app offered to install the SZ extension and I allowed it to do so. That extension does not appear in Safari > Preferences > Extensions (although the app says that it is there) but does appear in ~/Library/Safari/Extensions. In the previous version of SZ, there was no issue.

I posted this at the SZ website but perhaps someone here can offer an explanation.
Does Safari 9.1.2 have another category of add-ons called Plugins (like Firefox does)? It could be listed in there.
Nope!

Oops...take that back.

Safari has got a Plug-ins category, but I've never seen anything like ScamZapper included in it. (/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player, etc.)

SZ should appear exactly where Jon's looking for it, particularly in view of the fact that it's in the appropriate spot in the OS X file hierarchy.
Your problem sounds familiar. IIRC, the critical factor when running an SZ updater is allowing the updater to install/move the SZ app to your Applications folder, and then—in case of updater problems—using that SZ app to check for extension updates, followed by letting it install the update if it finds one.

‘Bonus’ tip: I recently noticed that selecting SZ’s ‘Aggressive Mode’ may block access to Amazon search result pages by sending you to SZ’s alert page.
That's what I did. I unzipped the SZ file and move the SZ app to /Applications. Then, I launched SZ and allowed it to install the extension. If and when I get reply from the developer, I'll post it.
There might have been an installation option some time along the way for the extension to be available for ALL accounts -vs- YOUR account.....as installed, the extension is functional in YOUR account but if someone else had an account on your computer, when they ran Safari, there would be no SZ extension for them since it's located in YOUR home directory.....

So not sure how you got there, but that's what it means when an extension is located in your home directory.
Jon,

About a year ago I had a similar problem with SZ. The solution for me was to uninstall both the extension and the app, and then finding & removing all the left over pieces with EasyFind. Then I reinstalled SZ and all was again, right with the world.

FWIW, I just installed SZ 2.0.2, and all is fine, but when checking the extension, I noticed that I also had the old extension. But that was easily removed by clicking on the uninstall box.
I followed your advice, Harv, and all is well. Thanks! smile

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I followed your advice, Harv, and all is well. Thanks! smile

You're most welcome, Jon.
After installing SZ, I found that Safari was very slow (lots of spinning beachballs). I unchecked Aggressive Mode in the SZ extension and that solved it.
I also had a problem with Aggressive Mode. It blocked the login pop-up for a site I wanted, and the alternative SZ web page that allows you to go to the site anyhow did not work for me.

Turn off Aggressive Mode and all is well.
© FineTunedMac