Home
Posted By: kevs Apple mail, connection doctor some account down - 03/20/16 03:13 PM
I have three email accounts active.

On the desktop it two say not connecting and one if good.

On laptop, the two that are not connecting on desktop are connecting fine, but the one that is not connecting on the desktop is not connecting.

Both computers are tied to the same router/ Ethernet via cord. Internet is fine. What do I do? Thanks.
Best guess is you have a different setup between the two Macs. The most common error is a password typo. I would start with a careful comparison of the passwords using Keychain Access. Look carefully for a leading space — those can be VERY difficult to see.
Joe, I am never ever type is a password besides the one day I create the accounts. The accounts were entered once, on both machines the same day and then they work great for weeks/ months at a time.
Check the setups — including the passwords — very carefully comparing both machines. Something has changed.
Joe, thanks, the issue self resolved without doing anything 5-6 hours later in the afternoon.

This morning, the only my main gmail account (the one I pay for with Google apps) was not connected on the desktop, and then it resolved and was connected 10 min later without me touching anything...

Apparently you finally held your mouth right grin
I know there is a joke there Joe, but I did not get it. Let me know what that meant!

But what do you say Joe? Is this settings, or just fruity Google and sometimes att.net, those are two servers, just acting up?

I'm a bit helpless if it's the latter.
The term "holding your mouth right" is common in my part of the world, and probably more common in my generation in my part of the world but, of course, that does not mean everyone everywhere knows what it means. 😳 When you are trying and trying to do something finicky but can't get it quite right then all of a sudden it "clicks in" it is said that you finally held your mouth right referring to the facial contortions and biting the tongue that often accompanies such efforts. Does that clear that up❓

As far as what happened anything I say would be pure speculation, but your comment about two servers acting up is as good an explanation as any for that kind of situation. There are a lot of factors that could be in play including how often Mail is set to check each account, when Mail was started on the two machines, and random chance. In any case it is unlikely there is anything you did to cause it or can do to prevent it from recurring. In other words you are more than a bit helpless.

FWIW thinking back I have occasionally seen this happening between my desktop and one or more of my iOS devices but didn't think anything about it at the time, or when responding to your query.
Thanks Joe, that's what I'm thinking. Well at least I've narrowed down to just two active email accounts, one with gmail and one att.net So we'll see how it plays out.
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The term "holding your mouth right" is common in my part of the world, and probably more common in my generation in my part of the world but, of course, that does not mean everyone everywhere knows what it means. 😳

Definitely had not heard that one before. Central USA here.

Another saying just floated across my brain, "don't beat around the bush"... taken without the proper understanding, how bizarre is that one?
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The term "holding your mouth right" is common in my part of the world, and probably more common in my generation in my part of the world but, of course, that does not mean everyone everywhere knows what it means.

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Definitely had not heard that one before. Central USA here.

I recall, growing up on the Canadian prairies, hearing a variation: "It's all in the way you hold your mouth."
© FineTunedMac